Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 06 Mobius LS vs 06 Outback V

Need help!

will be getting new boat soon (outback V), we like the v drive setup for family. last saturday was in new 06 Mobius LS. Very nice ergonomics for a center engine. I will be splitting time 50% Wakesurfing and 50% waterskiing at 28 to 34MPH.

Any feedback on Mobius LS wakes for skiing in that speed range would be helpfull! I need to make up my mind soon, the dealer and the rep have been great!

Thanks

Default Replying to Topic '06 Mobius LS vs 06 Outback V'

I think it comes to sacrifice. Neither will do both well. The LS WILL have a MUCH better ski wake. Direct drives just do becuase of location of the engine... but the LS hull is the same as the LSV hull and it is designed for wakeboarding so it is not as good a wake as the plain Outback. The wake plate can make up about 80% of the difference, but IMHO a true pro ski wake requires a small, light, flat bottom, center engine boat.

The sacrifice to get this is much less storage room, much less family room (all room behind the engine is useless when pulling a skier) less seating room, and when wakesurfing, you have less room for hiding ballast so it will also be in the way on the floor. The V drives are excellent for family, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, huge amounts of storage (ask Ed about how mine looked to him), all of the seating is usable during a pull since the pole is behind the seats but still in front of the engine.

Probably the toughest choice for you since you are not a wakeboarder. I personally think the V drives are the way of the future, and ski wakes have improved on them in recent years... still a few to go before they get it to a level of equality though.

Your best bet is to take the V drive out on a ski run. Or find a nice soul with one that will give you a pull at your speed and with the wakeplate down the proper amount.

Hope this rambling helps,

-Joe

Thank You guys!!!

I have a meeting tomorrow with my dealer at the lake and will bring my Ski. I will ask to ski both (if he agrees). Ice thawed from lake 2 weeks ago water very cold and i dont have a drysuite. will be an interesting "short" ski session tomorrow.... ) If wake is good Outback V. then it gets hitched on car!

Thanks again

Thank You guys!!!

I have a meeting tomorrow with my dealer at the lake and will bring my Ski. I will ask to ski both (if he agrees). Ice thawed from lake 2 weeks ago water very cold and i dont have a drysuite. will be an interesting "short" ski session tomorrow.... ) If wake is good Outback V. then it gets hitched on car!

Thanks again

Thank You guys!!!

Thanks again

Wakesurfer,

What was that? I missed it?

So what did you get? I bet The V. And Ed exaggerates, it was only 32 clowns

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Originally posted by Wakesurfer

Thanks again
    If your dealer declines, find a new dealer (if possible).
    Yes, its a boat, but you care a bit more than if it just floats.

Take your skis and a wakeboard. Give both a try.
    The outback-D has a sweet little wake for slalom off the trailer.
    Throw some weight in it and its a beginnner to intermediate wakeboat.

The V drive starts as a intermediate and moves up with weight.

I went with the outback-D as my wife skis and I'm just not that good at wakeboarding yet. I didn't get to test drive it, dealer was willing, by my old bod was screaming NO ITS COLD! But some guys here posted pics of their wakes and it helped make the decision.

When I bought my '04, the dealer 'insisted' we take her out and try the wake.
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

WOW!!!! i was pleasnatly surpriesed with the wake on the Outback V. The wake plate makes a VERY BIG diffrence. did not ski it, temparture was too cold in the uper 30's and water at 50's. but the wake just flatens out when you have that thing down...!!! I have the outback V home now. I will post picks soon. Navy blue with platinum inside and Teck platform looks sweet and classy. Only thing remains is how it will handle big water on a windy saturday PM on VERY big and busy lake.... but i guess you cant have it all!

Thanks

Wakesurfer,
    Where are those pics?

We have the same boat in an '05 model and I ski behind ours often and love it. In my opinion it's a better cross-over boat than the '03 DD Outback LS we had previously. When you get up past 30mph with the plate almost all the way down it's really very acceptable. Enjoy!
    Jeff
    Dearborn, MI