Default amp suggestions for tower speakers

Thinking of picking up these tower speakers to have for only $200 used locally. what size amp would i need to run a pair of these. Here is the link for the specs. I currently only have a stock amp to run just the cabin speakers so I know ill have to have a dedicated amp for these. Input is appreciated. Trying to keep costs low

http://www.bossaudio.com/marine/mari...udio-rocker/#1

Oh boy, where to begin. Not even go into a brand thing about build quality, but will stick with the most glaring reason to steer clear of a setup like this.

You have a small 5.25 mid-bass woofer paired with a larger 8" woofer all wired together in a single pod. During the tuning, you either over drive the smaller speaker in order to get the potential mid-bass from the larger driver, or you tune higher to suite the smaller driver, thus leaving mid-bass potential on the table. The only way to make this setup work correctly, would be to add a 2nd set of binding post and rewire the pod. Then, go with a 4 chnl amp. In a quick glance, I do not see what the pods impedance is. For this fact, you cant even begin to make an amp suggestion.

If this is a firm budget, I would suggest going with a pair of the single ended Bazooka 8". Probably a little more investment for a new pair. Or, continue to squirrel away some money and save up for a better tower setup and proper amp. Something like a pair or 2 of Kicker KM654 in Kicker pods and aKXM400.2 or Wet Sounds Icon-8 and a Kicker KXM400.4.

I'm going to assume the impedance is a stable 4-ohm load without any excessive impedance dips. If the DC resistance measures 3.5 ohms or higher then you can likely run a small 4-channel amplifier in the bridged mode, whether Kicker, Alpine, Kenwood, JL Audio, etc., any good name brand product that will deliver an honest 200 watts RMS per side.
    Would be nice to know if the 5.25" speaker has any internal passive protection to limit its bandwidth on the low end.

I agree with MLA's comments above. And a three-way 8" tower speaker will probably not play any louder or project any farther than a two-way 8" tower speaker. The three-way is mostly for show. And no doubt it does look good. But the Boss brand is scraping the bottom.

I have to agree. Boss is the K-mart of the audio world.

I had the 8" Bazooka compression horn tubbies and was pretty happy with them for the price. (I got a sweet deal on them as they're no longer available).

Just say no to Boss.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Here are a few close outs.

http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/home.php?cat=330

The Access Tech 8" is a great speaker.
    Also check out the Kicker KMT6 and the Mako MBQ65.
    Although not listed, they may have some Bazooka 8" tubbies in the $200 category. Call and ask.
    See what they have in Memphis HLCD tower speakers.

Stevens - Buying gear from the USA and shipping it to Canada is just a bad idea. The guys that responded above are internet merchants. The freight alone would probably be more than the 200.00 budget. You can buy the same thing locally for the same cost. If memory serves me correctly, check out East Hamilton Radio. They should be reasonably local to you and have a variety of brands ranging from entry level to high end.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Stevens - Buying gear from the USA and shipping it to Canada is just a bad idea. The guys that responded above are internet merchants. The freight alone would probably be more than the 200.00 budget. You can buy the same thing locally for the same cost. If memory serves me correctly, check out East Hamilton Radio. They should be reasonably local to you and have a variety of brands ranging from entry level to high end.

-Brian
    You need to really check your info there bud.......You are the internet merchant

Oh and i guess that its just a coincident that YOU work for Exile and the place you steer him to SELLS exile

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...