Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MAC vs PC -- sound off -- need a little help

OK, my daughter is an Iphone person who wants a MacBook Air for Christmas. I am looking at the specs on these and am unimpressed for what you get for the money vs a low to mid budget laptop. Putting aside that I can't stand windows 8, I still don't get why they pay so much for these things.

So, I'm trying to decide whether to bite the bullet or to convince her she's nuts. I'd like thoughts from anybody with experience here. Let's keep this civil. I know there are fruity types who love their apple stuff but I'm more interested in why they believe the value is there.

Thanks to everyone who contributes.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I was in the same "boat" but my son's university use Mac's. Also, they can set up their Iphones and computers together. My son did get a discount from the university as well.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

Also, if anyone has a good source for refurb or other deals on MacBook please let me know.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Been in your shoes. Sorry in advance - kinda wordy here.

Ok, been a PC guy since college days in 1994 when my first one landed in my dorm room. Grew to be a power user- work for a software company currently. Had never cared for the fruit - no interest.

Burned up, rebuilt, reinstalled, custom built, upgraded, desktops, laptops, you name it over the years. Been there, done that too many times. Last Windows machine went through 3 power supplies, 2 hard drives, sound card, wireless card, and a flaky video card over about 4 years. I kept upgrading and fixing and keeping it going since it was a beefy machine. After the last "issue" with a possible hack (thanks to naive kids) I took a step back and a long, hard look at this history. What a pain. Not the hardware per say, but the constant updates, reinstalling, configuring, etc.

Enter the Mac. Nice all-in-one design, simple, elegant, but spendy. HOWEVER - for a comparably outfitted PC the cost was very close. (I'm talking desktops in this case). At $1700 for an iMac, a comparably loaded PC and monitor were coming in at just over $1600. Plus the majority of exploits and attacks are Windows focused. Right now I don't even bother with anti-virus...

Macbooks definitely come at a premium but they are also built with premium components compared to a lot of off the shelf pc laptops.

Having a little over a month of experience in the Fruity world of computing I have no regrets making the change thus far. You do things a little differently than in PC world but the transition is rather quick and painless and there are a bunch of helpful how-to's out there. Setup was absolutely simple. The few if any updates needed were simple. My old dual monitor PC setup had a ridiculous gaggle of cords for power, sound, video, etc. All kinds of crap. The iMac - just one cord for power.

Plus the design of the Macs is just damn sexy. We have other Windows laptops floating around the house but since this thing arrived they rarely seem to get used much...

I work on a PC during the day but run a Mac at home now. Our head of development (we're a Microsoft Certified Partner company) is a Windows developer but only has Macs at home. Hmmmm, interesting.

The Apple store often has decent refurbs in their outlet section with good warranties.

Also -
    http://www.macmall.com/
    http://www.megamacs.com/
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

2nd Macmall. Not may "Deals" available on Apple products.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

I second Berg's comments. I use PCs at work and Macs at home. The Macs are so much easier to deal with on a day to day basis. I've had 2 of the iMacs and my wife uses a Macbook and the only problem I have ever had with one is the hard drive failed and had to be replaced. If the software that we use for work was built for Mac we wouldn't use PCs at all.

Apple has a education discount program so you can probably get something a little cheaper if you purchase it that way. Go to http://store.apple.com/us-hed to see that pricing. If her school is like my son's she is using Apple every day so it would be seamless for her.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR

I've Macs and PCs and prefer the Mac as it boots up faster, no viruses, and does videos better. There is software where you partition it for PC emulation but I never used it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default MAC vs PC -- sound off -- need a little help

PCs at work and iMac at home for me too. The biggest thing for me is PCs eventually get so bogged down and end up taking forever to boot up and shut down. I know you can do certain things to fix this, but that always annoys me. My iMac is still as fast as the day I got it 5 years ago. Wife has a MacBook Air and same thing there. So fast compared to my work laptop.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Don't get me wrong though - I would love a speedy pc with a big screen too. At work they just built a custom box for one of our developers with all high end stuff that is probably the fastest I've ever seen. Boots up in under 12 seconds! (I clocked it) However they have $2700 into it in parts alone.

Another guy here at work has always got laptops for his daughters when they started college and the last one, a year ago I believe, opted to go with a Macbook. He said he dealt with the same sticker shock but finally gave in. Had a problem with the display just recently and were able to make an appointment with a local Apple store. I guess the tech sat there with them to troubleshoot it. They left it there and came back 2 days later to pick it up all fixed and ready. No charge. He said that right there, not having to deal with warranty claims, shipping, waiting, etc. or avoiding the goobers working GeekSquad in BestBuy was awesome.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

The question really is not MAC vs PC. It is what is she going to be using it for. This is an age old topic on who is better and everyone has story's on both sides. You also have to think about skills in the long term also. Most company's use PC's were schools use Mac's. I am all about the right computer for the right applications and user.

Now just to keep things clear I am a PC guy. Have been for more years then I can count. Built lots of gaming computers in my life but now at home I like to just use my cell phone when I can.

The Mike breakdown on computers and applications.

Application Type of computer
    Word products PC. Lets face if Microsoft office products work better on PC's
    Listening to music and have a iphone Mac. You already have your music there and Itunes works better on a MAC
    Gaming PC
    Web browsing Google Chromebook
    Graphic design / video editing Now that is a topic on its own
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill