Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RCA Audio Cables

I have been looking at RCA audio cables, and my head is about to explode. 20 foot cables range from $8 to $80. I know you usually get what you pay for, but $80 for one 20 foot cable is crazy! I believe the 20 foot cables from Exile are T-Spec V8 series, although T-Spec also makes the V10 and V12 series. Not sure what Wet Sounds cables are, but they are pretty pricey. Just curious what others are running, and how much of a difference they make. I have looked at T-Spec, Raptor, Stinger, Scosche. and a few others. I will need four 20 footers to hook up my ZLD. All four cables will run up around the inside edge of the bow, and not be close to any power wires except for the turn on for the ZLD, which is very low in current. Thanks for any info.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Plus 1 on monoprice, great price and quality, no complaints here.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Plus 2. I think those are the exact cables on my ZLD.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

The Wet Sounds RCA's that come in the port side EQ kit are top shelf for sure. A single 6 chnl + a long or short 2 chnl for the input, whether your head-unit is on the port or stbd side. This really reduces the bulk. I like to use 2 4 chnl cables when I can. If you can run your cables under the walkway, you could go with the 17ft Metra 4 chnl. They offer them in the V8, V10 and V12 series. The V8 series is a solid cable, I use them. One simple difference between price point and top of the line, is the insulation thickness. As the integrity of the conductor goes up, the thickness of the insulation, goes down.

You certainly do get what you pay for, but that doesnt always mean that inexpensive is cheap quality. You do not need the most expensive RCA cables to have a clean noise free system.

My take on RCA cables is a bit different than MLA's. Spending 15 years working @ Phoenix Gold taught me a lot about RCA product cable design. PG was actually a prime manufacturer back in the day and did all their own cable builds. The nuts and bolts of it really comes down to a couple of area's--- construction materials and construction costs. Breaking that down a bit further...Here's the lay of the land

- Look for a cable that offers twisted pair noise rejection. The key is the twisted pair of conductors. As the price of the cable goes up, so do the windings of the conductors. This costs the mfg more money. You'll see companies taught so many windings per mm.

- Look for a cable that is built well. All the fancy connectors are not going to help you in the marine world. In fact I'd prefer a middle of the line cable with injected ends over the metal barrel connectors due to rust. Fancy end connectors drive costs up.

As far as your ZLD you bought, why didn't you buy the kit version? It comes with all the cables and wire harness stuff needed for install for +50 bucks.

-Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I got the ZLD from a fellow Moomba owner. Otherwise I would have ordered it with the kit. Also, thanks for helping me with my SXT9 order.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    - Look for a cable that offers twisted pair noise rejection. The key is the twisted pair of conductors. As the price of the cable goes up, so do the windings of the conductors. This costs the mfg more money. You'll see companies taught so many windings per mm.
    That's true if the drivers/receivers are differential. If they are single ended (which the ZLD is) then a coax RCA is the right cable.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    That's true if the drivers/receivers are differential. If they are single ended (which the ZLD is) then a coax RCA is the right cable.
    Possibly a few stupid questions: If the ZLD is single ended what type of RCA's are included in their kits? Because they only sell the V8 series which is twisted pair.

Since I will be starting my stereo install soon, how do you determine if your amps are differential or single ended? I will be doing Wetsounds, but I do not see that info.
    2014 Mondo
    Ski Lockers - 1000# customs
    750 IBS