Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Designing surf tabs out of auto trim tabs

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

So for a quick reference, are all these different surf tabs, actuators , plates,gates and flow systems are all deployed on the side you are not surfing on? Or are some deployed on the surf side ? Not to hijack the thread
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by wolff supra21v View Post
    I got the boat into my heated shop this weekend.
    Got all the parts I need to put the system together.
    The one think I was afraid of with the longer stroke actuators the are physical a little to long to fit under the swim platform.
    I was already planning on raising my platform up an 1".
    So I am going to raise it an inch and I was already planning on using the tab as a baseplate to add different shape plates to. so now I just got to add about 3" of length to the trim tabs so the actuator will mount a little further back on the tab. (we are going to bolt the things together for now to we see how the system works in the water than when we have it the way we want it we will weld it than.)

On thing nice my family owns a scrap yard so we get all kinds of scrap metal in (stainless and aluminum)
    also I have a brother that is a boilermaker and is awesome at welding. He has everything for welding stainless and aluminum. To top that off he is on my boat most the summer and loves to surfing.

We are going to play with it tonight so I will try to postsome pics tomorrow.
    Awesome, like I said I can't wait to see what your results are.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    So for a quick reference, are all these different surf tabs, actuators , plates,gates and flow systems are all deployed on the side you are not surfing on? Or are some deployed on the surf side ? Not to hijack the thread
    They are essentially all deployed on the non-surf side of the boat, regardless of the actual implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Explained pretty well in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....t=surf+systems
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Just a little update.
    I been taking all my seats out right now for new vinyl so that slowed this down a little bit.

We done some measuring. and trying to get a little extra material right now. I am getting some 1" square tubing to raise the swim deck up a little.
    also I am going to cut two 6"x6" stainless plates this weekend to add to the length of the trim tab. I order 9" wide by 12" long tabs. but by ordering the longer actuators to get the tabs in an up position that should not affect the wakeboard wake. I need an addition 2-1/2" to the length of the tab.

Also I got two piece of composite decking left over from my house. I am going to cut and trim them to give a good flat area to mount the trim tab to.
    2007 supra 21v

Please take some pics of the process and share with us. Can't wait to see how this comes out for you.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

would love to see some progress, even a mock up would be nice
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Due to the sixty degree weather in IL this weekend I did not work on the boat that much.
    Here are some pics and what I am thinking.
    I connected actuator with the tabs and electrical switch system a screwed the tab to a post and here what I came up with I actual only have about 30 degrees of movement I was hoping for more around 50 degrees of movement. Here are some pics of the tabs mounted to the post 1st two with the tab all the way up and second two with the tab all the way down.

IMG_1760.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1762.jpgIMG_1764.jpg
    2007 supra 21v

Also here is a picture of the switch. this system seam like it will work nice. It has a key/throttle power option. (there is an extra wire and when it loses power it automatically puts the tabs in the up position.) I plan on putting this on a rocker switch and labeling it surf tabs only, it needs to be on when using the tabs. It would be nice if it remembered where it was when power back up so you would not have to reset everything but there is also 10 leds showing the location of either tab.

Also I am wanting to mount the actuators in the dark gray strip next to the swim platform mount and by looking at this with the platform back on I really do not need to raise the platform if I trim about 2" of the outer lip off of the platform next to the mounting bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 supra 21v

Quote Originally Posted by wolff supra21v View Post
    Due to the sixty degree weather in IL this weekend I did not work on the boat that much.
    Here are some pics and what I am thinking.
    I connected actuator with the tabs and electrical switch system a screwed the tab to a post and here what I came up with I actual only have about 30 degrees of movement I was hoping for more around 50 degrees of movement. Here are some pics of the tabs mounted to the post 1st two with the tab all the way up and second two with the tab all the way down.

IMG_1760.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1762.jpgIMG_1764.jpg
    Easy. Mount the actuator more towards the middle of the tab vs all the way at the far back end. That's what Moomba is doing with the autoflow.

Look at this pic of the autoflow. Moomba is getting their desired range of motion out of only 1 inch of throw on the shorter throw actuators...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com