Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Ok I"m not near as think as you drunk I am...

I often stand there, beer in hand, kids screaming, stereo blasting, proudly examining the MASSIVE flow rate of my ballast system sucking the river level down so quickly that guys are panicking and kicking over sand chairs to go push their boats out and reset their anchors. I gaze down the beach for exactly 7.32457 minutes and wonder if any of the bikini clad women on the beach are admiring my system too. Typically when a cute blond in neon pink looks up and starts to smile I snap back to reality, most often from a smack up side the head from an irritated wife or daughter, and realize the rear compartment is popping open and the side wall is bowed over so far it's starting to melt against the exhaust manifolds and the rudder is firmly embedded in the sand; I figure the bags are about full. Okay maybe 95%ish. Time to chug the last of this beer and go surfing.

Wow, talk about a deja vu

I admire, and sometimes question, the dedication and enthusiasm that goes into flow testing the different possible setups. But any guy who's bragging about how big his Johnson is,,,, well to that I say

'my pump's bigger than yers'
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Default Trayson's 2008 XLV ballast system upgrade

That may be the absolute best reply I've ever read on this forum.

Nah, I'm like Trayson. I'm an engineer so my life is sometimes all about measurement, analysis and number crunching. So at work, I can have a spreadsheet open with pump flow data and it looks like real work but I'm actually thinking about boats. Now, if I get lost in some damn analysis when I'm actually on the boat, then please, smack me up side the head.

My guests usually question my sanity about buying a boat and then trying to sink it more and faster.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    That may be the absolute best reply I've ever read on this forum.

Amen, that is good stuff..

Fwiw I thought the impeller pumps were about 1 minute per 100 lbs. give or take.

Here is a real life comparison from 2010 by members here.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....ight=Pump+flow
    Last edited by jmvotto; 10-29-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Ok I"m not near as think as you drunk I am...

I often stand there, beer in hand, kids screaming, stereo blasting, proudly examining the MASSIVE flow rate of my ballast system sucking the river level down so quickly that guys are panicking and kicking over sand chairs to go push their boats out and reset their anchors. I gaze down the beach for exactly 7.32457 minutes and wonder if any of the bikini clad women on the beach are admiring my system too. Typically when a cute blond in neon pink looks up and starts to smile I snap back to reality, most often from a smack up side the head from an irritated wife or daughter, and realize the rear compartment is popping open and the side wall is bowed over so far it's starting to melt against the exhaust manifolds and the rudder is firmly embedded in the sand; I figure the bags are about full. Okay maybe 95%ish. Time to chug the last of this beer and go surfing.

Wow, talk about a deja vu

I admire, and sometimes question, the dedication and enthusiasm that goes into flow testing the different possible setups. But any guy who's bragging about how big his Johnson is,,,, well to that I say

'my pump's bigger than yers'
    Best.
    Response.
    Ever.

This is why Berg is KING of the MOOMBA FORUM.

All hail the king.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    Nah, I'm like Trayson. I'm an engineer so my life is sometimes all about measurement, analysis and number crunching. So at work, I can have a spreadsheet open with pump flow data and it looks like real work but I'm actually thinking about boats. Now, if I get lost in some damn analysis when I'm actually on the boat, then please, smack me up side the head.

My guests usually question my sanity about buying a boat and then trying to sink it more and faster.
    Likewise.

And when I had my Supra, I had a number of boats stop by and ask me if I needed help and had the Coast Guard called out to find a "black and white Supra" that appeared to be sinking... hehehe.

Also, I talked to my friend that has a 2012 MB F23 Tomcat with huge rear lockers (his actual term was "big ass" lockers). To fill his bags to capacity, it's about 10 minutes real world with the Johnson reversibles. So pretty much dead on with the assumed real world figures you were quoting for that you suggested.

So, adding reversibles would add about $300 to my project costs and 3 minutes to bag fill-ups. Many state that the impeller pumps are "more reliable" but if I can follow the lead of "Berg the King", maybe I can have them as reliable as his. And for me, not having impellers to replace will be kinda nice. I've had a reversible and neither pump is perfect, both are reliable and unreliable in different ways.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Where do I get my hands on a 3800GPH pump that Jesse was testing???

I've wasted plenty of time trying to figure out how to plumb dual T-1200's per bag, ok quadruple if you count drains. I mean if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing right?

Trayson - back to the drawing board here.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Why are some of you having trouble with bags filling up when the switch off? Is this the siphoning you're referring to? I haven't had this problem. And what is the vented loop for? I don't believe I have this. My bags will overflow through the drain line when full.
    2006 Outback V
    1992 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Where do I get my hands on a 3800GPH pump that Jesse was testing???

I've wasted plenty of time trying to figure out how to plumb dual T-1200's per bag, ok quadruple if you count drains. I mean if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing right?

Trayson - back to the drawing board here.
    I am guessing it was this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rule-17A-Gener.../dp/B000O89BVM

And you'll only need 1 1/2" hose for it! LOL!

www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Here is a real life comparison from 2010 by members here.
    Thanks Joe, I knew I had seen some other data. That data isn't quite as bad as I estimated, but I wasn't off by an order of magnitude. The Tsunami 800 actually got 450 gph (56%), the 2000 got 1058 gph (53%) and the 3800 got 1804 gph (47%)
    Here's one more data point: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...low-Comparison He used a Tsunami 1200 to fill a 400# bag in 4:37 (average of 3 trials) which is 623 gph (52%)... it would take him 12:03 to fill an 1100 to 95%

Maybe berg also has magic grits that cook in 5 minutes?

So a Tsunami at 623 gph will fill 1100# bag in 12:31, while a Johnson at 750 gph will take 10:40. I don't think 2 minutes is hugely significant. But I do think there are several data points that at least show the Tsunami 1200 pump isn't going to be faster than the Johnson pump, so if you are making other trade offs to get "faster" pumps you may wish to revisit those.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold