Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default XLV custom Surf platform.

So, I've been finding that my platform is cutting into my surf wave and the lip on the bottom is robbing me of push. I had the same problem on my Supra and made a custom platform for it.

This time I had more flexibility as there were only 2 platform brackets to deal with. I chose to make it out of black 3/4" HDPE. I was able to source some for $130 shipped. I then ordered some royal blue diamondd cut Hydroturf for padding. ($40 + $18 shipping for supposedly B stock but aside from some smudges on one corner that I cut off, it looked great to me). I went on Amazon and ordered the good contact cement that's made from the original nasty chemicals. ($14 shipped on Amazon)

I decided to go with 54" wide so the platform is about the width of my transom tie down loops. At the tip, I went with 44". I came straight out 14" and then angled inward. the platform is 24" deep, so there's a right triangle cut out that's 5 and 10" on the respective sides.

This was pretty easy to cut using my chop saw. Another harbor freight purchase put to good use.

I had a pair of 12" stainless steel grab handles that I'd intended on using for my Supra but never got around to it. I decided to put these to use on the new platform. Something to grab onto when you're in the water after a run is kinda nice.

to mount the handles, I drilled a hole so I could access the nut on the end of the threaded bolt that was part of the handle. I just drilled a hole and enlarged it as necessary with my jig saw. I didn't care too much about the looks of it as it's going to be covered with the padding.

Last edited by trayson; 10-11-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Here is a look at the platform before putting the pad on.

And here is how it looks relative to the OEM platform:

I used the platform as the template to cut out the pad. then I did the contact cement per instructions and applied it with a 6" smooth paint roller I had laying around.

I covered all of the platform with the hydroturf and smoothed it on with my wife's rolling pin. (I didn't tell her).

I also smoothed out the edges of the HDPE with a file. I figure I can smooth it out some more when it's on the boat if needed. The contact cement says to wait 72 hours before exposing it to direct sunlight or temps outside of 65 degrees. So I have it sitting in the garage and won't put it on the boat just yet. It is supposed to be at full strength in 7 days. We'll see how it goes.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Re: XLV custom Surf platform.

Hopefully you used the good contact cement. You may want to round those corners, looks pointy..
    Last edited by parrothd; 10-11-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Hopefully you used the good contact cement. You may want to round those corners, looks pointy..
    Yessir, I used the exact stuff you suggested.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I checked mine, still on there..I get compliments about the hydro, people like that its soft..

Looks like I have incentive to round the corners. if I would have went with about a 45 degree cut instead of a 22ish degree, it'd be better. as is, the corner is still dragging in the wave a little bit. No problem, trimming some more off shouldn't be too hard.

And I agree, rounding the corners will make it look better.

www.TraysonsToybox.com

The handles probably cut into the wave as well or will when you add more weight..

The handles probably cut into the wave as well or will when you add more weight..
    They didn't with the 1100 in the rear locker and 650 center. So we'll see. They are certainly convenient.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    They didn't with the 1100 in the rear locker and 650 center. So we'll see. They are certainly convenient.
    What is the total width of your platform including the handles? How much "water clearance" do you have? (i.e. could the platform be any wider and still stay out of the water?)
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    What is the total width of your platform including the handles? How much "water clearance" do you have? (i.e. could the platform be any wider and still stay out of the water?)
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I decided to go with 54" wide so the platform is about the width of my transom tie down loops. At the tip, I went with 44". I came straight out 14" and then angled inward. the platform is 24" deep, so there's a right triangle cut out that's 5 and 10" on the respective sides.
    Above are the dimensions that I used for version 1. However, I'm going to be chopping down the corners some more. basically I'll give it a shot with the width of the tip of the board being 34". so I'll go 5" narrower on each side of the tip. It'll make the angle where the corners are cut out about 45 degree. That said, I'm likely going to try to round those corners for aesthetics.

The handles add to the total width. I'd say they're right there, and I wouldn't want to go any wider or I might be dragging. I do have a 1/2" spacer between the platform brackets and the platform itself.

So I feel pretty good about the overall width, just need some more to come off the "corners".
    www.TraysonsToybox.com