Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tow Vehicle Advice

Wife and I are looking to trading in our Chevy silverado for a Tahoe. Will I notice any difference in towing my lsv
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

I got a new Tahoe last Xmas and it tows my '13 OBV (slightly smaller and lighter than your LSV) like a dream. I had a Traverse before and it seemed that the boat was towing the truck more than the other way around. I can't speak for the Silverado, but I would guess you would notice the difference.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

I have a 2011 Suburban, which is basically the same vehicle, but a couple feet longer. I have no problem towing my LSV. It has the 5.3 engine, 3.42 gearing, and the six speed transmission. It will only run in 5th when in the towing mode.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

With the shorter wheel base the ride might suffer some. We went from a crew cab 1500 with the 6.2 to a suburban with the 5.3 ride is softer, but its shorter on power.

I have a 2011 Tahoe, 5.3L. No problems on the highway, Under 65 it gets respectable gas mileage. never had a problem on any of the steep ramps around here either. Our Geography is relatively flat with rolling hills here and there. I do relish the extra room a suburban would provide though, that's my next vehicle.
    2007 Moomba Mobius XLV with G3 Ballast, 325HP Indmar, Carbureted

Extreme Noob

I have a 2001 Suburban I am just not ready to give up. It holds so many people and tows so well (it's pretty flat here) that I won't have anything else (maybe a Yukon XL).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Also depends on tire size and gearing. If you pimp it out with oversized wheels/tires you're reducing your gear ratio and making it work harder. Ask me how I know...

My GMC 1/2 ton with lower miles pulled way worse than my brother in law's stock Tahoe with 3x as many miles. And man that Tahoe can turn sharp!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I have on 07 yukon with the 5.3 and 373s in the rear. It tows nice. Could use some air bags in the rear to stop some of the bounce from the trailer tongue. I don't notice much of a difference between towing with a buddies silverado ext cab with the same powertrain. The biggest difference is visibility but you will get used to that pretty quick. When I tow my buddies nautique visibility is much better as his boat sits lower on the trailer and isn't as wide as the 21v.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

We just went from an 09 Tahoe to a 14 GMC truck. We had second row buckets in the Tahoe and a third kid on the way that would put 2 car seats and a booster seat it would get tough to get them in and out, so we went back to a truck with a bed cover.
    The Tahoe had no room for storage with the third row seating in. had to store everything in the boat or if not pulling the boat put everything on a hitch goofy rack.

Tow wise pretty close to the same. The new 5.3 is getting a little better gas mileage. (but I cannot say much because I will never get good gas mileage when I tow at 75 to 80 mph)
    I would recommend staying away from the air shocks on the Tahoe (air ride). ours went out at 70,000 miles and had two friends shocks go out between 60 to 80,000 miles and they are about $500 each.
    2007 supra 21v

Skip the Tahoe and go 'burb. I did put the cheapo air lift kit inside the rear springs. Really helps level everything up and smooth it out. Was under $100.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!