Hybrid View

Default Ballast Winterization

Getting to that time of year where winterization needs to take place. My dealer usually charges 100 to winterize my ballast. I'm not comfortable winterizing my entire engine but I think I can at least do the ballast. Is all I need to do unplug my bags and run antifreeze through my lines? I also have an IBS thinking I should run some antifreeze through that line as well.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

If all you have is soft bags, including the IBS, with quick disconnects, theres not much left to do. Run some Marine/RV pink antifreeze where you feel you need to, but i do not see where any water would be trapped and not allowed to expand if it froze.

Pull the bags and empty. Put a funnel in each fill/drain hose. Pour some pink antifreeze in. Hit the empty button till you see pink antifreeze on the ground.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

On our's, we have a water filter on the intake pump.
    Make sure you remove that and empty any water in it as well and be careful to line up the filter when reinstalling. Add a cap or 2 full of bleach to the bags, just be careful when reinstalling it doesn't drip out of the valve and onto your carpet.
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

With the RV antifreeze being relatively cheap, I was going to dump a bottle or two into each sac (after draining all the water) and then turning on the pump to empty. I would think that would get enough of the antifreeze thru all the hoses and pumps, wouldn't it?
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

For me, that would be overkill, but you need to be able to sleep at night, and keep in mind the different geographical locations, so you may need to do that.

I would also recommend putting a container to catch what you drain out of each bag, then re-use that in the next bag (since you drained most of the water out already).
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"