Default STEERING CABLE or HELM ?

I've got some loose steering issues on my 2000 Outback LS and could use some advice. With the steering wheel being held in place, From the steering cable at the rudder I can move the steering cable in/out of the sleeve about an inch. Basically the cable will move in and out and I'm trying to figure where the slack is coming from. The block that holds the sleeve/cable at the rudder appears to be secure.

Does anyone have any past experience with this? Is it a cable issue or a helm issue? It's the standard teleflex big-t tilt helm (Sh91525p)....which i am told is not made anymore. I have not had a chance to fully inspect the helm. Otherwise, steering is smooth and easy. Do the gears within the helm wear down routinely... Boat has about 460 hours.

Thanks
    Patrick S.

Mine is ceasing and I'm looking to replace the cable after 10 years. I'd be surprised if it was anything but the cable. Pull your steering hard over, I don't recall which way, then check for slack and take it up if you like. 99% guess, cable connection issue.
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

I have the same issue and i just replaced the cable and had no change. Drove my buddies 2011 axis and it was the same way. Maybe this is normal?
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Sliding.com can get you a good par number for the cable. They may have input on the overall issue. There are a few connections that allow the cable to move the rudder without binding. Those may be worn. Just a thought.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Inspect the cable gears and the bushing under dash at end of your steering , most likely worn out in there .
    Been there with old 05 out.
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD