Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2015 LSV Ballast Question

Hello.

Well we finally made the plunge and purchased a 2015 Mobius LSV this past weekend. We've kind of been thinking about getting a wakeboard boat since last summer and finally pulled the trigger. My son, who is 10, and my nephew, who is 12, have been riding for 2 years now. They started behind a Waverunner and that was OK to get them going but tough on the driver to keep them going at a steady speed. Last summer we decided to get a SeaDoo Wake 215 that is setup with a pylon and speed/launch control so it is easier to pull them consistently. That was good and a lot better than the Waverunner, but it has no wake to speak of. Fast forward to this summer. My son has taken several lessons that were pulled behind a G23. Good wake, lots more fun than the SeaDoo. It was time to get a boat, actually another boat since we already have a SeaRay 290 SLX. Looked at used boats since we didn't want to spend huge $$ on a boat that we would probably only use to pull boarders and to surf a little. We boat at Lake of the Ozarks and its pretty rough to try to boat in a smaller boat so we will keep using the bigger boat for most of our cruising around, etc. The place we bought our SeaDoo just became a Moomba dealer so I told my wife we should just go look to see what a new "value" boat was like compared to something like the G23. We were both impressed and this boat fits our budget a whole lot better than some of the other boats and we were able to get it new so it has a warranty. Maybe not important but I thought it was. We had the boat out for several hours this past weekend and the boys love it. The Raptor engine has plenty of get up and go for us.

All of which brings me to my question. Our boat has the stock 1800lb ballast system. Currently we pull the boys at 18MPH at 65 feet. How should I set up the ballast to get a good clean wake that they can start to learn jumps? I'm not looking for huge yet, just something they can have fun with.

We start out filling the center only and run the wakeplate about halfway up. This is on the 2008. Your hull is pretty close. As they get better you can fill the two rear bags half way then 3/4, then all the way. But these boats like weight up front so I suggest you start there.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Jason05216 View Post
    Hello.

Well we finally made the plunge and purchased a 2015 Mobius LSV this past weekend. We've kind of been thinking about getting a wakeboard boat since last summer and finally pulled the trigger. My son, who is 10, and my nephew, who is 12, have been riding for 2 years now. They started behind a Waverunner and that was OK to get them going but tough on the driver to keep them going at a steady speed. Last summer we decided to get a SeaDoo Wake 215 that is setup with a pylon and speed/launch control so it is easier to pull them consistently. That was good and a lot better than the Waverunner, but it has no wake to speak of. Fast forward to this summer. My son has taken several lessons that were pulled behind a G23. Good wake, lots more fun than the SeaDoo. It was time to get a boat, actually another boat since we already have a SeaRay 290 SLX. Looked at used boats since we didn't want to spend huge $$ on a boat that we would probably only use to pull boarders and to surf a little. We boat at Lake of the Ozarks and its pretty rough to try to boat in a smaller boat so we will keep using the bigger boat for most of our cruising around, etc. The place we bought our SeaDoo just became a Moomba dealer so I told my wife we should just go look to see what a new "value" boat was like compared to something like the G23. We were both impressed and this boat fits our budget a whole lot better than some of the other boats and we were able to get it new so it has a warranty. Maybe not important but I thought it was. We had the boat out for several hours this past weekend and the boys love it. The Raptor engine has plenty of get up and go for us.

All of which brings me to my question. Our boat has the stock 1800lb ballast system. Currently we pull the boys at 18MPH at 65 feet. How should I set up the ballast to get a good clean wake that they can start to learn jumps? I'm not looking for huge yet, just something they can have fun with.
    Are you taking lessons with Kirby? If so, get some input from him on the best setup for the kids.

At that speed and length start out with 10-15% in each and modify as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Yeah, the lessons are with Kirby. He is a great teacher, has a really good way with the kids. My nephew went from being really stiff and uncomfortable to where he is enjoying it now. Kirby is having an amateur contest in a couple of weeks that we are going to. My son is undecided about riding so we may just watch. The lessons aren't cheap but that has been some of the best $ we have spent at the lake in quite a while.

He was pulling the kids at 18MPH @ 65' with no ballast in the G23. I'll run it by him as well.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR

Yeah, the lessons were with Kirby. He is a really good teacher, he has a good way of working with the kids. He was able to get my nephew going and improving right away, he was really stiff and uncomfortable before. My son has really improved as well now that we know a few things to work on and the correct way he should be doing it. He's having an amateur contest in a couple of weeks that we are going to go to, not sure my son will compete so maybe we will just watch. I'll talk to Kirby about the ballast setup. He was pulling the boys at 18 MPH @ 65' behind his boat and that's pretty much the same as what we have done with the SeaDoo in the past also.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR

Congrats on the LSV, we love ours and the versatility it provides. Would love to see some pictures.

Welcome to the Forum, lets the mods begin!
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Jason05216 View Post
    Yeah, the lessons were with Kirby. He is a really good teacher, he has a good way of working with the kids. He was able to get my nephew going and improving right away, he was really stiff and uncomfortable before. My son has really improved as well now that we know a few things to work on and the correct way he should be doing it. He's having an amateur contest in a couple of weeks that we are going to go to, not sure my son will compete so maybe we will just watch. I'll talk to Kirby about the ballast setup. He was pulling the boys at 18 MPH @ 65' behind his boat and that's pretty much the same as what we have done with the SeaDoo in the past also.
    Very cool. My son has worked with Kirby some. He's a great guy!

We may come up for the contest. My son rides with quite a few kids from there and it could be a nice final contest of the year. If we do head up there I'll be sure to say hi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Sounds good. We've not been to one before so we are really looking forward to it. Not sure which boat we will take over there. Probably the SeaRay. It's quite a ways from our place through some water that is usually pretty rough.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR

Got out this past weekend for several runs. Water was good for our lake other than some chop from the wind. And it was chilly. It was 61F when my son made his first run. He said it wasn't too bad with his wet-suit on though. On Saturday we ran with front locker and IBS full, both rear bags empty and 18 MPH. Wasn't great. Emptied the front locker and IBS to 1/2, according to the timer, and it was better. Had a hard time getting the port side to clean up. Made changes to the wake plate but never seemed to clean up the wake. Yesterday ran with no ballast at all @ 18 MPH and the wake was good. Both sides clean. We ran with the wake plate at 1/2. I was able to flatten the wake in the down position and bring it up a bit in the up position.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR