Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default looking to replace the factory cabin speakers ... any suggestions?

Just wondering what speakers you guys put in the cabin when you swapped out the Kickers that came from the factory.

Thanks.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Specifically, what model is in your 2014, is it still the KM6130? The new KM65 is an excellent speaker, built from the ground up as a marine speaker. Comes in traditional 4 ohm model, as well as a 2 ohm. Makes matching up with an amp real easy. LCW model includes an RGB LED ring on the back of the tweeter, plus a charcoal and white grills.

If you really want to make an upgrade and have room for a speaker with an 8" OD, then look into the brand new KM8LCW. Comes with the RGB LEDs and the charcoal and white grills. Very impressive mid-bass and balanced sound quality.

To stake things a little further, anytime someone is looking for a speaker change on such a new boat, I always like to visit the wattage feeding the speakers and the amplifier tune. Your source unit can also have an impact on sound quality. New speakers will certainly change how a system sounds, but no guarantee you will get the desired results, if the problem lies upstream of the speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Specifically, what model is in your 2014, is it still the KM6130? The new KM65 is an excellent speaker, built from the ground up as a marine speaker. Comes in traditional 4 ohm model, as well as a 2 ohm. Makes matching up with an amp real easy. LCW model includes an RGB LED ring on the back of the tweeter, plus a charcoal and white grills.

If you really want to make an upgrade and have room for a speaker with an 8" OD, then look into the brand new KM8LCW. Comes with the RGB LEDs and the charcoal and white grills. Very impressive mid-bass and balanced sound quality.

To stake things a little further, anytime someone is looking for a speaker change on such a new boat, I always like to visit the wattage feeding the speakers and the amplifier tune. Your source unit can also have an impact on sound quality. New speakers will certainly change how a system sounds, but no guarantee you will get the desired results, if the problem lies upstream of the speaker.
    Hmmm I will have to look at the paperwork that came with the boat to be able to answer that.

The reason why I ask is because I just had an amp and 10" sub installed today and the guys at the shop said that before swapping out my towers I should replace the cabins and I will notice a BIG difference.

The amp that is powering the 2 towers is the factory Kicker DX300.2. The new amp that powers the sub only is a Clarion XR2120.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Hmmm I will have to look at the paperwork that came with the boat to be able to answer that.
    Not sure if the boats paperwork will list the specific model, but a peak at the back of the speaker will tell. A pic of the front of the speaker will also.

the guys at the shop said that before swapping out my towers I should replace the cabins and I will notice a BIG difference.
    This is not necessarily an inaccurate statement. While having a dent fixed, the guy at the body shop said I should paint the car bright pink, said i will notice a BIG difference

If there is not an external driving those Kicker in-boats, then that is where I would start first in regards to improving sound in the cabin.

Oh I see ... so maybe the cabins are just running off deck power?

anyone know if the DX300.2 is powering both the towers and the in cabin speakers right from the factory? I was under the impression that it was?
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackcup View Post
    Oh I see ... so maybe the cabins are just running off deck power?

anyone know if the DX300.2 is powering both the towers and the in cabin speakers right from the factory? I was under the impression that it was?
    Just talked to my audio guy and yes the cabins are just running off deck power!!
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

What subwoofer and enclosure did you end up going with?
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Ahhh, the age-old question... What do you replace your stock speakers with.....

It is as if somehow universally, stock speakers are bad or somehow substandard. I understand this thought process, as we all know our stock speakers in our cars can be improved upon. We also know of "that" boat that has the bare minimum audio system with the cheapest of cheap little throw away white grill speakers...

Historically boats DID come with very little in the way of audio and the speakers WERE bad, (so was the radio!). That is really not the case anymore...

Old habits die hard, so it is logical that a new boat owner would want to replace the most visible part of the audio sustem, the speakers. However with the stock Kicker speakers running of the deck power only the first logical choice for an upgrade is to get an amplifier for the in-boat speakers.

I am going to go there; your stereo shop may be just trying to take money out of your pockets with an easy sell. Replacing speakers is quick and easy. Adding an amp is more work. They also simply may be sharing a personal bias against Kicker; it is hard to say for sure.

Your stock speakers are seriously good speakers with large powerful motors, sealed drivers, substantial and solid grills. They were designed from the ground up as marine speakers. They meet or exceed several standards for outdoor environmental exposure. Like any good speaker, they will sound way better with some power behind them.

Consider the Kicker KXM400.4. It is a marinized full-range, Class D 4-channel amplifier. It will deliver 50 to 75 watts to each speaker, depending on the actual power output of the amp you purchase. You can find this power rating on the "birth certificate" included in the amp carton. This will be somewhere between 3 and 5 times the power output of the head unit only. You WILL hear a noticeable difference with the addition of an amplifier.

Hope this helps...

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 08-26-2014 at 10:02 AM.

What he said.... I think most people assume "stock" needs to be replaced, and that might be accurate in most cases... but the stock Kicker in boats are really good, IMO, when powered properly.

Everything else in my boat is upgraded (all amps, towers, sub), but left the Kicker in-boats and am running them off of an 800.4 amp, and they are loud and clean. I can't imagine needing anything more.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Yeah, crazy to replace the speakers without hearing them on better power. Source units may be rated at 4 X 50 watts but by the standards used by external amplifiers that would be a more realistic 4 X 15 watts. So by no means are you presently hearing the limitation of the speakers. At this point, when you hear distortion it is solely the source unit running out of power. Get a good amplifier, run it in the highpass mode, and you will be shocked at the difference.