Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No Boat Throttle? Things to check

My brother was out on our 2000 Mobius V that has perfect pass installed. Apparently the boat suddenly jerked and there is now no throttle. From what I've heard, the cables are still moving around in the back of the engine. The perfect pass may have also shifted positions. Since we didn't do that install, we are unsure how to troubleshoot if it is a PP issue.

I'm not aware of any kill switch on our boat, we've never had a lanyard.

Any other things we should be looking at before we have to call someone to have a look?
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V
    Monster Tower MT2 - 750 rears, GG 1180 center - PP Wakeboard Edition

We lifted the boat high enough on the lift to see if the prop would turn and it does not. So something is likely locked up internally.
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V

Can you rev it in neutral? Push in the button at the base of the stick, lift the ring under the ball and push forward as if you're going into gear. That will keep it in neutral and let you see if the engine will rev.

Do you have reverse?

How are the fluid levels? Both tranny and v-drive.

How about the prop shaft - straight? Or was the "jerk" actually hitting something...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

The engine revs just fine. As I push it in forward or reverse I can hear it rev up like it wants to go. The shaft did not look bent to me. I did not yet try to start the boat outside the water to see if the shaft would turn. Checked the fluid level and it looks good. We were in deep water so I don't think we hit anything. I hear a clicking noise when I try to go forward or reverse.
    2000 Mobius V

It sounds to me like the transmission shift linkage may have come loose. I have had the exact opposite problem with the throttle linkage before. In my case the engine would run at idle but when you push the throttle forward no revs but the boat would move forward or reverse at idle speed. Not sure where the transmission shift linkage is on a V-drive but its right on top of the transmission towards the front on my DD.
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

I do see the shift linkage moving, but whether it is moving far enough or correctly I do not know.
    2000 Mobius V

See if you can pull it further by hand?

Going to have a mechanic give it a once over to see if it is an easy fix tomorrow... I'm not too hopeful.
    2000 Mobius V

Mannnnnn... Crossing fingers for you. Let us know what you find out.

Heard back from the mechanic, he thinks the v-drive might need to be rebuilt or replaced

So off to the dealership it goes. Seems like every year we have some major issue and certainly this is no exception. For the first 2 years it was the hull cracking. I don't think we have had a full season where it hasn't been cut short at the beginning or end of the season because of some issue.
    -Ryan
    twitter.com/WakeVideos
    2000 Mobius V