Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by letitsnow View Post
    I spent 75$ on the 1/2" board and 15$ on aluminum angles. drilled two holes in the back corners for water too go out. this adds alot of space!
    Okay, based on your idea I went and built one for myself. I only had the depth for mine to be 2 1/2" for most of it, tapering to 3" towards the bow. I used 1/4" HDPE to keep the costs down. About $10 in aluminum angle and $60 for the two sheets of 24x36 HDPE. I already had the stainless screws.

I don't have a front or back wall on my "tray" because they go flush against the walls of the engine compartment. The rear tray has a piece of hdpe under the bottom to form a lip so the floor of the forward tray dovetails against the floor of the rear tray. Because there's no forward or rear walls, there was no need to cut out for the shock mount. only cut the floor out around the ski pylon. and the floor actually rests on the big nut for the engine compartment lid latch.

Because my HDPE was 1/4", it was more susecptible to not having the sides to floor square, so I used some of the angle to reenforce the right angle of the floor to side wall junction. Likewise, because my HDPE was only 1/4" thick, I used my air grinder to hack off the tips of the screws that were poking through the HDPE.

Lastly, on the front tray, I put some nylon webbing along the sides to form a pair of "handles" so I had something to grip when I wanted to remove the front tray. The front tray comes out first, then the rear.

Mine is deep enough to fit ropes or even the throw cushion. All in all a nice upgrade.

Webbing "handle":

The shadow makes it look like there's a hole under the latch against the pylon, but the hdpe snugs right up against that latch. unless something was the size of spare change, it's not going to fall through into the engine compartment.

Last edited by trayson; 09-14-2016 at 01:27 AM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Looks great Trayson! Gotta love more storage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    2013 Moomba Mojo 2.5 surf motor
    Flow added
    Exile ZLD 2
    Exile javelin
    Exile 30.2
    Exile sx65
    Exile XM9s
    12" exile DVC
    Led Lights

Trayson, does the cover on the XLV have a recessed area in it? On my LSV, there is a little recessed box just aft of the pylon. I assume that it is there to allow clearance with something in the engine bay but I haven't really looked that closely.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    Trayson, does the cover on the XLV have a recessed area in it? On my LSV, there is a little recessed box just aft of the pylon. I assume that it is there to allow clearance with something in the engine bay but I haven't really looked that closely.
    No, it doesn't. it's completely flat aside from the hardware sticking out from it for the latch on the handle. You can barely see it in this picture:

Maybe your boat had the hardware removed for the latching mechanism on that engine cover?

If it makes a difference, I have the 340 CAT engine.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Since I use both back ballast bags when surfing, I'm looking for room.
    I could see throwing dock lines, bumpers, wake ropes, extra life vests or throw cushions, etc.

Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Since I use both back ballast bags when surfing, I'm looking for room.
    I could see throwing dock lines, bumpers, wake ropes, extra life vests or throw cushions, etc.

Good idea.
    I don't have as much clearance on my XLV with the 340 CAT engine. I was able to get 2.5" rear and 3" of depth in the front. For me, the limiting factors were the top of the wakeplate hydraulic reservoir, the metal tubes coming off the O2 sensors on my exhaust risers, and even the top of the intake manifold itself. The newer boats obviously have deeper lockers for the engine and v-drive lockers.

But it's deep enough I can fit lines, handles, throw cusion; and hopefully some leftover pizza.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I would love to do this on my 07 LSV but with the plastic hood over the engine there is no room at all. The back 1/3 maybe has some room but there is no way to cover the whole engine compartment. I guess I could take the hood off, it really isn't anything that needs to be there right?
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    I would love to do this on my 07 LSV but with the plastic hood over the engine there is no room at all. The back 1/3 maybe has some room but there is no way to cover the whole engine compartment. I guess I could take the hood off, it really isn't anything that needs to be there right?
    You would have much less "ASSAULT"!!!!!!! LOL. I can't imagine anything the cover does other than look Purdy.

You could make a partial shelf/box. it wouldn't be hard at all to engineer a stopper so it didn't slide forward.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com