Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

That's pretty fantastic. what kind of boat is that tray from?

Its from a Malibu. Found in the back of a wholesalers warehouse....Got it for $50. You can still order them from Malibu or Axis for like $200 (too rich for my wallet), but for the small amount of research I did it seemed like a huge hassle. Also, I don't think they come this deep anymore (6"). It did require L-brackets along the engine compartment braces to close the opening like 2" so it didn't slide around. I just attached them at the screws on the Permanent divider sections.
    2014 Mondo
    Ski Lockers - 1000# customs
    750 IBS

Default Over Engine Tray

Quote Originally Posted by mbusch5 View Post
    Bringing back an old thread, but my winter mods are coming the end and figured I would post a pic. Of all my mods this one might be the best one as far as convenience. Its nice to not have to dive head first into my lockers looking for stuff.

Attachment 21588Attachment 21589
    Great job! Can you share some additional details for the ones who will want to do the same? Part numbers, dimensions, etc would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great mod for sure for any v-drive that doesn't have it.
    I think the key is finding a tray that is "close enough" in dimensions like you did to make it work.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Great job! Can you share some additional details for the ones who will want to do the same? Part numbers, dimensions, etc would be great.

Sure, I'll grab some more pics and some details this week.
    2014 Mondo
    750 IBS

Here is some more info..I think my pics are a little turned around.

I had to do a bit of patch work on the tray to fill in some holes and cuts that were made. I just used Plexiglas, fiber tape, and epoxy.

The tray sits on flanges so the "tub" portion is 26.5" wide and my engine compartment is 29" from brace to brace. I got some 4' steel L-channel (can't think of a better name) and cut them down to 3' (depth of my engine compartment) to run the length of the existing braces on both sides. I got ones wider than the engine brace to decrease the width.

1.jpg

3.jpg

I attached the them using the 2 existing screws for the "permanent" parts of the engine dividers. This brought the width to 27" so there wasn't much play for the tray to slide side to side and fall into the engine. I also used some spacers to push the L-channel out more. I still have access to the removable portion of the engine divider. All the weight actually still sits on the engine braces my L-channels only keep it from sliding.

2.jpg

I also placed commercial strength Velcro along the back bench wall on both sides of the ski pylon to keep it from sliding front to back, but honestly the weight of the cover would hold it too.

4.jpg

Last I just made hole for the cover hinge to attach. I may still cut a slot through the flange so I don't have to pop the hinge off to take the tray out, but really I never need to unless I am doing maintenance in my garage.

5.jpg
    2014 Mondo
    750 IBS

Default Over Engine Tray

This is an awesome mod and I want to do it!

2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Default Over Engine Tray

Anyone else do this mod yet? I love my buddy's tray in his MB.

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
    Anyone else do this mod yet? I love my buddy's tray in his MB.

What does he use it for? I'm thinking that warming up the leftover pizza in a ziplock would be a good bet. but I'm not sure I'd want anything there that'd get subjected to the engine fumes. And certainly nothing in there that was susceptible to heat damage...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Over Engine Tray

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    What does he use it for? I'm thinking that warming up the leftover pizza in a ziplock would be a good bet. but I'm not sure I'd want anything there that'd get subjected to the engine fumes. And certainly nothing in there that was susceptible to heat damage...
    He keeps life vests, dock line, surf rope, flag etc. It's nice to not be able to dig to find stuff when you forget your ballast is already full. Seems like I always forget my life vest and have to muscle it out between my bag and engine panel haha.

The more storage the better. Not sure I would use it as a pizza oven though lol

2015 Mondo

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BrettLee3232 View Post
    He keeps life vests, dock line, surf rope, flag etc. It's nice to not be able to dig to find stuff when you forget your ballast is already full. Seems like I always forget my life vest and have to muscle it out between my bag and engine panel haha.

The more storage the better. Not sure I would use it as a pizza oven though lol

I wonder how hot it gets in that tray. that would be my concern. Oh, and having your life vest smell like engine fumes.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com