Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Outback for Wakesurfing

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to make bigger wakes on an Outback (direct drive, not V drive) to also keep wakeboarding and surfing friends happy? Wakeplate helps but the Gravity 1 ballast is only 275 pounds and there is no way to upgrade to Gravity 3. After-market ballasts (on deck) seems to be the only option but they are obstructive and ugly. Thank you.

Trade the boat! Ha ha. I had an 2000 Outback LS that would make a credible surf wave. Had to put some serious ballast on the floor next to the doghouse and in the trunk though. No other way.

Search on "Outback Surf Wave" for pointers.

Maybe start here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....back+surf+wave
    Last edited by kaneboats; 02-19-2016 at 02:32 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Rear seat sac and surf sack along the surf side of the motor box. Re-purpose your Gravity 1 bag to the floor in the bow walk through unless you have enough peeps to throw a body or 2 up there for bow weight to lengthen the pocket, and everybody else on the surf side. She'll be riding dirty so have to keep a close eye when circling back to pick up a fallen rider or you'll be eating rollers. I had a thread on my 07 setup if you do some searching.......Good luck!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Any weight in the bow will surely sink your hopes. Unless that weight has the capability of moving aft when coming down from a plane and that is on glass. Waves will come over unless you are at a dead stop.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

ECHO - Do you have an Outback or at this point are you thinking about buying and wondering how it could he modified with additional ballast for wakesurfing? Have had mine nine years. Bought it new in '07. Never tried surfing behind it. With its minimal freeboard and five adults on board, it is easy to take water over the bow. I would not want an additional half ton of ballast. Be careful. - Deerfield

Quote Originally Posted by ECHO View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestion on how to make bigger wakes on an Outback (direct drive, not V drive) to also keep wakeboarding and surfing friends happy? Wakeplate helps but the Gravity 1 ballast is only 275 pounds and there is no way to upgrade to Gravity 3. After-market ballasts (on deck) seems to be the only option but they are obstructive and ugly. Thank you.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    ECHO - Do you have an Outback or at this point are you thinking about buying and wondering how it could he modified with additional ballast for wakesurfing? Have had mine nine years. Bought it new in '07. Never tried surfing behind it. With its minimal freeboard and five adults on board, it is easy to take water over the bow. I would not want an additional half ton of ballast. Be careful. - Deerfield
    Thank you Deerfield. Much appreciate your advice. I think it's time to think about another boat.

Thank you Viking. Doesn't sound too appealing. Others warn about water over the bow too. I think Kaneboats is right about getting a different model.

Ya almost every outing when setting up for surf if I wasn't at the helm there was a roller over the bow. It's easy enough even without being slammed with weight.
    It was doable however and had alot of fun learning to surf behind it. It's what drove me to upgrade into a V-drive. That and the kids getting older and needing more room.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I'd never talk someone from buying a boat but if you can get into another model, I would highly recommend it for all the reasons above.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

agree with everyone on this. I had an 05. had some good times but no storage and bags everywhere. I never sacked it out because it sits so low as it is. upgraded last year and I couldn't be happier. everyone starts somewhere and you learn what you do and don't want in the next boat.
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold