Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Need help finding a ski. I'm still pretty much a newb, & the hand-me-down isn't right

Okay, so back a LONG time ago in my 20's, I was able to finally get up on a Slalom ski for the first time. for the next handful of years, I'd get out on a slalom ski a few times a year. I wasn't ever really great at it, but I could typically deep water start on the 1st or 2nd pull. And I could cut around and enjoy being up on one ski. I never got to the point where I could cut a turn or anything like that. Just a recreational skier.

So fast forward to now and I'm 42 and have had my boat about a year and a half. I've only pulled a ski out a few times since I've owned the boat. The first time was a failure and I took a zillion pulls without success. I later found out that I was doing a lot wrong after re-educating myself on how to deep water start. After leaning my shoulders back and looking up at the horizon, I was able to get up again, and went for a good ride.

So, today, I throw the ski on again (it's a hand me down 69 Connley Legend) and after a few pulls, I'm up. Then down. Then up again and took a nice long ride. I felt like a total newb in that I was flat out not comfortable on the ski. I didn't feel like I had much if any control. About all I was comfortable doing was being pulled straight and crossing from the center to the outside of the wake a few times...

I have a 92 supra sunsport direct drive, so it's not the best slalom wake ever made, but it's certainly better than most v-drives.

I'm thinking that I would do better on a different ski. My guess is that the Connley is probably too aggressive for me and I need something that I can cruise around on and get to the point where I can cut it up a little. I need some stability and confidence from a ski. And something comfortable would be nice too.

I hate an open back foot, so a full double highback is a must in my book. I've also seen the advances in bindings with laces and all, so I'd be HAPPY to get rid of the stuffing the foot into an old school binding as my foot cramps up!

Of course, my budget is basically nothing! So that doesn't help. But hey, it doesn't hurt to gather info and do a little research in case I can find something used that might do the trick.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'10 and 169 pounds and my feet are small--a men's size 7.

Anyway, I'd love any guidance you all could give. I'm great about searching out stuff on Ebay and CL, as long as I know what to look for...

Thanks, and here's a shot from this morning:
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

And for your viewing pleasure, here's a vid of my run today, looking like a big NEWB, complete with a nice crash at the end...

http://youtu.be/wD5trntbJhI
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I have a "boat" slalom ski, a Connelly Pilot. It is a super big slalom ski with a shape. It is almost as big as a wakeboard. However, it is amazingly easy to get up on. It allows the skier to ski at speeds as low as 23-34 mph. At slow speeds (26) you could run the slalom course. I have gotten a lot of people up on it how don't normally slalom ski.

Connelly also makes (made) a ski called the FX. It is a shaped ski and it is slightly bigger than most comp skis. It skis really nice and falls into turns. The wider tail aids on starts. Probably a little harder to find and more expensive.

You should be able to find one on ebay or Overtons fairly cheap.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

We have something similar to maxpower220. It's an old Maha with a really fat tail. It almost looks like a jumping ski. Don't ski anymore so it's in the attic but I remember it used to do the trick getting people out of the water. It doesn't perform like a high end slalom ski but it has a purpose.

Another thing to consider is weight. I have an HO which is really heavy and a Kidder which is really light. The HO is harder to get up on but it really slices through the wake or any rough water where the Kidder is a little more "Darty" in the water.

I'd just get a junker that's easy enough to get up on and still has some performance, then jump into something a little more sporty when your ready.

Looking at your video....I used to grip the handle over/under. Not sure if that's right or just my preference but I think you may feel a little more stable that way. Your best turns will come from carving them so when you go outside the wake your actually starting the turn before your all the way out, then cut across the wake and do the same on the other side. Turns are a lot easier and effective this way. My $.02. Looks fun. I'm afraid my arms will come off if I tried skiing again. It's been 5-6 yrs.
    Last edited by valleywine; 08-17-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    2006 Outback V
    1992 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Couldn't tell from the vid, but do you ski right or left foot forward? Some things I've noticed when I ski that help are foot and rope postion. Having the rope mounted on the pylon instead of the wake tower helps tremendously. The tower puts the rope too high when you cut, and throw you off the proper balance. If you are right foot forward put the rope on the left side of the ski when you start, as it tends to pull you the correct direction. I also use a pistol grip on the rope instead of a "palm down" wakeboard grip. I use left hand palm up with right foot forward through the whole ride. You'll also be leaning back further on a slalom than you do with most other board sports, which feels abnormal until it clicks. Speed is also pretty important as IMO, the slower you are, the more difficult a slalom is to ride. I normally free ski between 31 and 34 depending on the water. By the way, the Trooper looks like a great slalom wave!

I ride a Connelly V in their longest model. I can't remember the length. The V is a full double sidewinder binding system that is super secure and comfortable. It's easy to get on and off and you're locked in when it's set. It uses laces like a wakeboard and a cam on the back that locks the heel. The V is more forgiving than most other competition slaloms I've ridden and absorbs shock and wake really well. If your body position isn't perfect, the ski makes up some of that for you and is easily recoverable from poor planning and position.

There are alot of great youtube videos for noobs like us on slalom, which I'm sure you know. I've learned alot from them. Thats why I bought the V, as it came highly recommended from some pretty good riders.
    2007 LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Beejwest View Post
    Couldn't tell from the vid, but do you ski right or left foot forward? Some things I've noticed when I ski that help are foot and rope postion. Having the rope mounted on the pylon instead of the wake tower helps tremendously. The tower puts the rope too high when you cut, and throw you off the proper balance. If you are right foot forward put the rope on the left side of the ski when you start, as it tends to pull you the correct direction. I also use a pistol grip on the rope instead of a "palm down" wakeboard grip. I use left hand palm up with right foot forward through the whole ride. You'll also be leaning back further on a slalom than you do with most other board sports, which feels abnormal until it clicks. Speed is also pretty important as IMO, the slower you are, the more difficult a slalom is to ride. I normally free ski between 31 and 34 depending on the water. By the way, the Trooper looks like a great slalom wave!

I ride a Connelly V in their longest model. I can't remember the length. The V is a full double sidewinder binding system that is super secure and comfortable. It's easy to get on and off and you're locked in when it's set. It uses laces like a wakeboard and a cam on the back that locks the heel. The V is more forgiving than most other competition slaloms I've ridden and absorbs shock and wake really well. If your body position isn't perfect, the ski makes up some of that for you and is easily recoverable from poor planning and position.

There are alot of great youtube videos for noobs like us on slalom, which I'm sure you know. I've learned alot from them. Thats why I bought the V, as it came highly recommended from some pretty good riders.
    Honestly, I couldn't remember which foot I skied with forward, but I'm FOR SURE regular snowboarding and wakeboarding and surfing, so I put my left food forward on the ski.

I was actually skiing off the stern eye of the boat. The previous owner took out the center pylon to save room since he never skied. I was going to throw it back in the boat once, but with all the rust down in the hole, it was so snug of a fit, I was worried I'd never get it back out! So it's not in the boat. I certainly had no intention of being towed by the tower.

I've been wakeboarding so long (since the mid 90's, that I forgot about a ski grip! I'll try that. I kept telling myself to lean back, I probably could have used more.

As far as speed, I was a sissy and set the speed pretty damn low. I think I had it REALLY low at like 23 to 25mph. I guess I was a little gun shy and wanted to give myself a break but maybe I was making it harder for myself? What speed should I be at? The faster speeds kinda scare me honestly.

Here's my wake at probably 25mph or so. I guess the old Direct drive ain't too bad?

Those bindings you described sound awesome. I guess I need to give it another try even with this ski and adjust my grip and my speed and my body position... Maybe I'll surprise myself.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I think most slalom courses start at 28mph or so. I'm a big dude and when I drop below about 28mph the drag increases and the ski feels like it sits too deep and is mushy. Above 28 she rides really nice. I normally roll about 32 on the PP (uncalibrated) so I don't know what the GPS speed is but it's close, within a mile or two per hour. I've found that older skis transmit more water feel to the rider, and the newer skis are way smoother and feel more connected. Just like surfing, one board is fantastic for one rider, but the next guy hates it. Pretty personal sport. Your wake is fantastic! image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpg
    Here is a couple shots from last weekend at 32mph on some rare glassy water. They are stills from a video so the quality sucks. Don't have any of the LSV's wake in the center...
    2007 LSV

I lied, here is one;

image.jpg

and one more

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 LSV

http://www.amazon.com/Connelly-Water.../dp/B00DDV0NSW

There are those bindings I was talking about.
    2007 LSV

I'll get a video up tonight....
    2007 LSV