Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: XLV Ghetto Gate

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    Trayson- I went with the hull extension (blade with no angle) as an experiment to see if there would be less steering drag when compared with a blade that extends past the side of the hull. In all honesty, I don't know if there is an difference in steering or wave between the designs as this is the only method that I have tested. I am happy with the result so I don't plan to try the angled blade version. I have about $125 into material and hardware and maybe 2-2.5 hrs including finding all the right tools in the garage and cleanup.

My platform is very narrow at 48" but is almost completely out of the wave when listed or using the gate. The shape is virtually identical to yours. No coincidence as I looked at your platform before making mine.
    Makes sense. I have to imagine that there are a lot of ways to delay the convergence. Sounds like yours is working great and it is by far the BEST looking gate I've seen that's not hard attached to the boat. And you've certainly got less time invested, no question there.

Parrothd - If I knew that hydroturf would stick to HDPE I would have gone that route vs wood covered in fiberglass. If I ever need to redo the platform I will likely use HDPE. So easy to work with and no chance of rot.
    ^^^^^^^^^ THIS. Although all the plastic dealers say that stuff won't stick to HDPE, so I'm hopeful with how his has been good so far but I've still got a tinge of doubt that it'll stick for the long haul. I REALLY hope he proves me wrong...

It's funny, mine was supposed to be a "prototype" and I've been rocking it for a year. I got some $15 closed cell foam off ebay and threw that on top of mine and figure I'll use it until it starts to fall apart, LOL.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default XLV Ghetto Gate

I put some left over matching Hydroturf on my HDPE gate. sticking so far with no issue but only a short time has passed. The top section is good sized and would be super slippery when wet.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

You'll find the longer the gate the less angle is needed and also you probably do not need half the hardware you have on it to keep it together for the speeds you doing. Looks good!

Default XLV Ghetto Gate

Quote Originally Posted by cornrickey View Post
    You'll find the longer the gate the less angle is needed and also you probably do not need half the hardware you have on it to keep it together for the speeds you doing. Looks good!
    Thanks.

The large # of screws are certainly excessive after watching it while in use. I kept adding screws until I ran out. A little overkill.....

I can agree with the theory that the longer the gate the less angle needed. Makes sense to me. My gate is 24" at the longest point.

I wish I had lined up the screws better. That is all I see when I look at it. I should not worry about it as there is no wave improvement due to straight/pretty hardware placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    Thanks.

The large # of screws are certainly excessive after watching it while in use. I kept adding screws until I ran out. A little overkill.....

I can agree with the theory that the longer the gate the less angle needed. Makes sense to me. My gate is 24" at the longest point.

I wish I had lined up the screws better. That is all I see when I look at it. I should not worry about it as there is no wave improvement due to straight/pretty hardware placement.
    I can agree with you on aesthetics. I WISH I would have bought the black HDPE for my surf system instead of the white.

And I guess I also prove the fact that length is inversely related to angle. My angle is 90 degrees and my surf blade protrudes a whopping 3".
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

You can fill the holes. It won't be perfect but not a hole anymore. Heat up a piece of scrap and drip if into the drilled out holes. Don't let it get too hot that it gets soot in it. If you think about it (and after you watch out work in real life, not on your head) the water pressure (which is a lot less than you would think) is pushing in on your system. You only really need the hardware you seeking to keep it together until you build the pressure and for all the times your not going straight ahead. The bracket I use on mine to keep the gate deployed uses a thin rivet on its hinges. I was going to replace them with stainless bolts but decided against it because 1- they have held up through all my r&d and 2 (the biggest reason) they are a fail safe. If for some reason I hit something , forget there deployed and take off our go took fast in reverse I believe they will fail, alleviating the pressure before other things do.

Default XLV Ghetto Gate

Got a few pics. Pretty windy so I didn't get too many. I'll get more this weekend.

Even weight w no ghetto gate. No bags on floor or seats.

Time to ride the tube! Awesome Russ!

(by "TUBE" I MEAN CURL! Put the airpump down and back away slowly...)
    Last edited by bergermaister; 08-22-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: being a smart a$$
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

That is awesome Russ.... kinda weird but I almost wish i didn't have the flow so i could play around with stuff like this! haha.... I have a buddy at the lake that has an 08 SAN and his kid was our riding behind the Mondo a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the surf wave while keeping the boat level... i showed him this thread and some of the others on "ghetto gates" and he is going to do some prefab to play around on is own now.
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Wow, great wave. How are you keeping your transom from getting scratched?
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold