Default buffing / polishing / waxing

Hello all,

Ok, I know there have been some threads in the past regarding this and I've done my best to review them. I'd like to present my scenario and would like to hear everyone's thought, opinions, suggestions, etc.
    I got my 'new to me LSV' late last season and haven't done any buffing, and haven't been up to speed on my waxing. The lake I boat in is a large Corp of Engineer lake that is dammed off on one end, used for flood control, and is filled by rain water and water shed. There's no river, tributaries, or springs. So, basically it's a 5000 acre puddle of mostly murky water. As a result, after a day on the lake I'll have a brown scum ring around the hull. I try to wipe down the whole boat when I pull it out of the lake, but scum is already stained on. After a few days on the lake I've used some hull cleaner to knock off the scum. Apparently, its basically an acid based toilet bowl cleaner type of solution. My guess is as a result of the hull cleaner I've probably stripped whatever wax was on there and that allows the scum to accumulate and adhere to the hull that much more. In addition, the black gel coat lacks a bit of luster as well. I wouldn't say it's heavily oxidized, but certainly in need of some TLC. Finally, there is an assortment of various scratches and scuffs from boards and such that need to be addressed. I also have the standard decals on the boat and don't want to damage those.

So, I'm guessing I'll need to do some kind of buffing with pads and compounds, etc. What's the go to method and supplies? Also, I'll be doing this with the boat on the trailer so I guess I can only buff/wax what I can reach...
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles
    3 vent heater (which my family loves)

Check this out

http://kearneyville.com/2012/02/27/f...oat-detailing/

I ordered the package from amazon, and got a cheapo buffer at harbour freight.. 60 bucks. Turned out pretty good.
    2003 Mobius LSV Gravity Games
    Total Noob running 1100 in the center, 750s in the lockers.
    JL JX360/4 powering 6 Infinity 621m speakers

This is a great site to learn or order stuff you need. http://www.premiumboatcare.com/paint...boat-care.html

Get a decent buffer, I have the porter cable 7424 which is middle of the road, and some pads.

I like the 3M products. http://www.premiumboatcare.com/3mautapprod.html

If the oxidation is heavy then you need to use a "rubbing compound", if not then the Finess it II is a good all around product. Follow with a good wax.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

I have a dumb question... I've luckily never had many scratches to deal with, so I usually just wash and wax regularly... But I do have a small scratch now. If I use compound, do you typically want to treat the entire boat, or can you just spot treat with the compound, and then wax? Wasn't sure if it would impact the appearance if you don't do the entire boat.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

If you use a rubbing compound you can just use it in one location but you kind of want to lightly blend it out a little. Then you need to use a finer material like the "finess it" and blend out further and then follow with wax. Start with the least aggressive product first to see if it will work. If not then work your way to a more aggressive one. But after the most aggressive one you need to work your way back up again.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by bkearney View Post
    Check this out

http://kearneyville.com/2012/02/27/f...oat-detailing/

I ordered the package from amazon, and got a cheapo buffer at harbour freight.. 60 bucks. Turned out pretty good.
    I used this and had great results. Got the kit from Amazon, variable speed polisher and pads from Harbor Freight and my son provided the labor. Worked out great for me!
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI