Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Considering Moomba

Hello Moomba Forum participants - My name is Nick and I am currently building a house on a ~70 acre ski/wake boarding lake in Wichita, Ks.

The lake allows for 21 foot boats (the swim platform can go beyond 21 feet if it is removable).

I have a young family (Two children under the age of 3) and I am trying to identify the best value boat that would accommodate surfing and wake boarding. Since this is for my home, items such as storage are not a huge consideration.

I began my search by looking for used Mastercraft 205V's, but I have not been able to find one that makes sense. Recently, I went to the local dealer (This dealer carries Moomba, Axis, Malibu, and Mastercraft). The only boat in stock that might work is an X2, but >$70k is beyond what my wife would consider... The only Moomba in stock was a Mojo. I really liked the look of it and found via further research that Moomba makes the Mondo and Outback which would work on my lake.

I would love to find a used Outback V, but if not a dealer in Oklahoma has new Mondo that seems priced well and might be worth making the two hour drive to test it out.

My questions:
    1) Besides cosmetics - what are the most significant differences between the Mondo and Outback V?
    2) With the Mondo - what are the must have options? I have trouble believing that anything stock will be desirable....
    3) Would you make a different recommendation to a family purchasing their first boat (with little surf/wakeboarding experience)

Thanks in advance!

I would test drive the Mondo and the LSV as well as the Outback V. You will fall in love with one of them if not all three. Good luck and congratulations on your new home.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I may be partial to the LSV, however there are some reasons why. Very versatile boat, can ski, tube, wakeboard/surf or just putz around. The other main thing we were looking for was free board depth. We have a young child and have friends with young kids. We wanted something we felt was deep enough in the cabin area where we didn't have to worry about kid over board, this took the OBV out of the equation for us. We got a great deal on our LSV and have loved it. When we Sold the Stingray I/O an upgrade to the Mondo didn't seem like we were gaining enough in extra space, the LSV is loaded with space but doesn't feel too big. I would love to get into a Mojo, but feel that may be too much boat for us.

Good luck, this is a great Forum and Moomba is a great brand to consider.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

The LSV will still be too long for your restrictions.

The Mondo is the new generation of tug boats where the Outback V is the older style. Although that's somewhat cosmetic, its the core difference of the boats. Mondo will be deep, feel safer for the kids inside, have more storage room for gear or ballast. The Outback V will be leaner, ride lower in the water, and likely be a little better for skiing.

I would think, not certain, the Mondo will do just about everything better but ski. The difference in styling can be seen in pics ....

I'll let other fills in the must haves. For a young family that wants to do it all, I'd put the Mondo ahead of the Outback V by a good distance.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Yea, I guess the LSV is 21' 6" without platform. Probably can't fudge it. I'd test drive the other two though. Lots of guys who criticize the OBV have never ridden in one or rode on the older model. It is a fine boat worth a look, especially for a small family.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yes, disclaimer ... I have never ridden in either.

My perspective comes from boat depth and comparisons with boats I've been in. A family with young kids, a deeper interior will win out 95% of the time, especially with mom involved. The right move is definitely to sit in or test drive both, though.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Considering Moomba

Quote Originally Posted by ICTVillain View Post
    Hello Moomba Forum participants - My name is Nick and I am currently building a house on a ~70 acre ski/wake boarding lake in Wichita, Ks.

The lake allows for 21 foot boats (the swim platform can go beyond 21 feet if it is removable).

I have a young family (Two children under the age of 3) and I am trying to identify the best value boat that would accommodate surfing and wake boarding. Since this is for my home, items such as storage are not a huge consideration.

I began my search by looking for used Mastercraft 205V's, but I have not been able to find one that makes sense. Recently, I went to the local dealer (This dealer carries Moomba, Axis, Malibu, and Mastercraft). The only boat in stock that might work is an X2, but >$70k is beyond what my wife would consider... The only Moomba in stock was a Mojo. I really liked the look of it and found via further research that Moomba makes the Mondo and Outback which would work on my lake.

I would love to find a used Outback V, but if not a dealer in Oklahoma has new Mondo that seems priced well and might be worth making the two hour drive to test it out.

My questions:
    1) Besides cosmetics - what are the most significant differences between the Mondo and Outback V?
    2) With the Mondo - what are the must have options? I have trouble believing that anything stock will be desirable....
    3) Would you make a different recommendation to a family purchasing their first boat (with little surf/wakeboarding experience)

Thanks in advance!

Hello Nick,

Your story sounds really familiar. I believe I was given the details of your situation this weekend. I would highly encourage you to make the drive down to Crosstimbers on Skiatook to try out the Mondo.

I will also add that if the 21'6 is acceptable for your lake I have a 2013 LSV for sale that is at Crosstimbers also and you could test it out too.
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Todd,

Thank you for the feedback - it is a small world!

My HOA just indicated that a <22' boat would work. That brings the LSV into the discussion. It also brings 2004 Supra SSV into the discussion as well (I liked the boat, but was under the impression that it was too long). Does anybody have experience with the SSV?

I appreciate every single post in response to my original questions. It has been very informative and helpful (especially winksonthewake)! Thank you, Nick Begley

Drive the Mondo!
    2014 Moomba Mondo - Exile Tower/Sub/ZLD/EXBT4/Amps (2x), Hertz Cabin - Evolution Cover - 650 IBS, 900s Rear, Center Hard Tank, Flow
    1969 Bayliner Tahiti - 120 HP Force Outboard - Gone but not forgotten

that changes things a tad. if you can get a 22ft boat on the lake, I'd say get the biggest boat you can afford/fit. you won't be sorry. I had the shorter, narrower and less freeboard version and loved it. would be a tough decision between mondo and 22ssv.. nothing against the lsv but that's what I'd shop if it was my $$ and if I found a mint ssv, it's what I would bring home. not sure if you have a lead on a 2004 but they made many different years of that boat. I'd look for a newer one. they are a sweet boat.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten