Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Importance of a "ski" rope for newbies???

How important is it for me to have a dedicated "water ski" rope? I'm basically a beginner on the slalom.

This is the rope I've been using. it's my "spare" cheap-o rope.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/20961573?w...896632&veh=sem

Obviously, I know that true comp skiers use a stretchy rope that will allow them to get that last couple inches to the bouy. But that's not me...

So how important is the rope in the equation?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

It's not that important. The biggest difference in my opinion is the handle. Cheap handles feel bendy and squishy to me. Other than that, it's "nice to have" all of the different take off sections of a ski rope to find the sweet spot of the wake crossing or just to try different lengths but this isn't a big deal for a beginner - this becomes more critical in a course.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Concur with Greg. Not a big issue at all. The "nice to have" part for your situation would be ability to shorten the rope to 22 off when skiing from the tow eye. I really don't see that as a big deal at all.
    Pat L
    2005 Outback
    Leonardtown, Maryland

I don't think "cheap" is as important as a specific ski/slalom rope compared to a no stretch wakeboard rope. Using a no stretch rope for slalom is a little dangerous.

Also, you may have a guest who skis also and it is nice to hand them a rope they are familiar with.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by cornrickey View Post
    I don't think "cheap" is as important as a specific ski/slalom rope compared to a no stretch wakeboard rope. Using a no stretch rope for slalom is a little dangerous.
    Excuse my ignorance, but why? what's dangerous about it? I'm really trying to envision what could go wrong...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why? what's dangerous about it? I'm really trying to envision what could go wrong...

The wakeboard line will slack instead of stretch so when you make your cut back across the wake the boat will pull the slack back out of the line really quickly and will take your shoulders with it.
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Yup, when you grow up slalom skiing with a dynamic rope then use a wakeboard (static) rope there is no loading of the rope on the cut and accelerating over the wake. You just (in my experience) launch over the front of the ski and land on your face @ speed. It's about as much fun as using a dynamic rope wakeboarding

Thanks! Good to know.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by cornrickey View Post
    Yup, when you grow up slalom skiing with a dynamic rope then use a wakeboard (static) rope there is no loading of the rope on the cut and accelerating over the wake. You just (in my experience) launch over the front of the ski and land on your face @ speed. It's about as much fun as using a dynamic rope wakeboarding
    You only launch out the front of the ski if you're not in proper position no matter what rope you're using. A slalom rope doesn't stretch that much either. Otherwise taller and heavier skiers would gain an advantage in competitive skiing. A good slalom line that won't stretch without a handle is $100.00 or more..

Concentrate more on your body position when the line does load. Get the handle down in front of your hips, get stacked properly with shoulders square and hips up front and ride that angle right through BOTH wakes before you stand and initiate your next turn.
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!