My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Default Boatmate Trailer Lights Problem....

When we bought our 2014 LSV this winter, we ended up going whole hog and getting a new car to tow the sweet new boat. We ended up buying a 2014 Audi Q7, whiich is great at pulling the boat around. The problem is that I coninue to get a failed left rear brake and turn signal indicator. All the running lights all work fine, but the left turn signal and brake lights don't work. Audi tells me that the car is fine, and the Moomba Dealer tells me that the trailer is fine, but my trailer and car don't work! I tried a new adapter and I still have the same problem.

Here is our set up. Do you guys have any suggestions or have you had any similar issues?

image.jpg

Does your LED on your 4/5 pin connector on the vehicle light up with the left tun signal on? Somebody is lying and I think I know who? The one with less quality control.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I have an older boat and trailer (2007) and I've chased my problem down to the wiring in the back of the trailer. The issue I've found is the plastic wire splicers that they used do not make good contact. Pull the left rear light from the trailer and find where they use the wire splice and try to recrimp where the wires are connected to the main bundle. This would be the second thing that I would check after checking with a volt meter the power coming from you trailer light interface at your car. You need to break the problem in half and determine if it is the car or the boat. If your car has the voltage, than it is in the boat.
    Good Luck
    2007 Moomba LSV

Default Re: Boatmate Trailer Lights Problem....

Check the ground, White wire..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I agree - sounds like a ground.

Mine had the same issue and it turned out to be a corroded ground terminal under one of the amber lenses on the side of the trailer.

I would check the trailer on a second truck or SUV. I know my buddies Lexus had an issue that the LED trailer lights did not play well with the Lexus. He had to wire something in line.

Here is something I found doing a quick LED trailer to Audi http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/TR20141.html

I would double check and hook it to another vehicle like Patrick said. Some vehicles do not do well with LED lights on a trailer. Something about the bulb monitoring system not being able to accept a signal back from an LED and it needs a resister.... I have heard stories with Rovers and BMW's with lights flashing.... Double check it on another mainstream american or japanese pickup before digging too deep....

I have the exact problem on the exact side. I have some other warranty work to get done so I'll have it looked at then. I tow with a Ford Expedition. I've checked the plug on my truck using an adapter I have that has lights that indicate when power is applied to that wire. My plug checks out fine. I just took delivery in Apr.
    1991 Cobia Monte Carlo 188E (Sold)
    2014 Moomba Mojo (Sold)
    Next ??

My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by samvq1 View Post
    I have the exact problem on the exact side. I have some other warranty work to get done so I'll have it looked at then. I tow with a Ford Expedition. I've checked the plug on my truck using an adapter I have that has lights that indicate when power is applied to that wire. My plug checks out fine. I just took delivery in Apr.
    Just to close out this thread..... we took our Q7 in for a scheduled service and made them check the wiring harness again and it turns out that the harness was actually faulty on our (brand new!) Audi. They swapped it out, and everything now works perfectly.

So for those of you following at home, the score is: Boat Mate 1, Audi 0

Quote Originally Posted by North Woods Mobius View Post
    So for those of you following at home, the score is: Boat Mate 1, Audi 0
    Too funny. It is always nice to get closure. Too many times there is no feedback.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD