Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sub Enclosure Design Software?

Anybody use a program to design a sub enclosure to the woofer specs?
    I have all the dimensions for a basic box enclosure but need to build it with modified angles and cuts to fit the space. I want to make sure all measurements are adjusted so the internal cubic feet stays within spec. and new dimensions to fit.
    I've checked online but nothing really shows up?

I have a neighbor who's an engineer with CAD software and he could probably do it. Just checking here first to see what others have done?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Default Sub Enclosure Design Software?

I just got done using the free version of Sketchup to design my new enclosure. Awsome program. It will show you all your measurements and angles. Do a search for the free version and toutorials.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

thanks jstenger!
    Will check it out

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Viking,
    Honestly, I have never done an enclosure, no matter how complex in shape, that I was unable to do the conversion easily and quickly via good old manual math.
    The basic approach is to break apart the enclosure into separate parts, rectangles and triangles. Convert triangles into rectangles, compute the displacement, and divide by two. Then add up the collective parts for a total displacement.

-Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

agree with David. half the fun of building a custom enclosure is doing the calculations and knowing it's coming out close.
    personally, never sweated a 1.2cuft box for a sub optimized for 1.3cuft. a boat is such an acoustically bad environment and quite noisy at that. I would bet that most would not be able to discern a speaker put in a slightly "off" box based on the environment, but even moreso on that fact that most don't pay to have systems professionally tuned to drive the speakers to their optimum efficiency.

my .02
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    never sweated a 1.2cuft box for a sub optimized for 1.3cuft.

my .02
    shouldn't your math work out to a dime?

I think based on Viking's comments he already has a specific box volume. He just wants to convert to a more complex shape while maintaining the exact same displacement.
    That's really easy to do with concise tolerances. No program required. And yes, the math should work out to a dime, or two cents, or whatever.
    The subwoofer sealed enclosure target is somewhat subjective to begin with. The woofer/enclosure combination is a tuned resonator. You can aim narrow with a bit more peak output or you can aim broad with a bit more linear output. Either extreme begins to give something up. +/- 5% of the optimum isn't a major thing to most.

That's exactly right David. It's going to need to have some funky angles or notches to fit the space just right.
    I might PM you what I'm thinking?

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Anybody use a program to design a sub enclosure to the woofer specs?
    I have all the dimensions for a basic box enclosure but need to build it with modified angles and cuts to fit the space. I want to make sure all measurements are adjusted so the internal cubic feet stays within spec. and new dimensions to fit.
    I've checked online but nothing really shows up?

I have a neighbor who's an engineer with CAD software and he could probably do it. Just checking here first to see what others have done?
    Here is the link to the free download.
    http://www.sketchup.com/download

This site has an excellent how to section for Sketchup. You will have to scroll down the right side bar to #10 "Sketchup Basics"
    http://www.asos1.com/

This is my current project that I used Sketchup for. No guessing on the angles of the table saw blade.

Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon