Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Slalom Ski

Default New Slalom Ski

After years of using my dad's Kidder from the 80's, I'd say I'm ready for a new ski! I'm 18 years old, and I've been skiing for about seven years. I've slowly progressed to an intermediate-advanced skier, but I am by no means close to an expert! I am pretty comfortable in open water at around 28-31 MPH, but I have not made an attempt at the course yet (we don't have one on our lake). Being that I don't know any pros, and no other friends or family members have bought a new ski in a while, I need a few tips! What style? What brands? What bindings? What I do know is that I would be anywhere from a 67-69" and that HO, Radar, and Connelly are all good brands. I'm looking for something that will be a great intermediate all-around ski that will also be suitable for the course if I choose to do so. Thanks!

Lots of skis out there that will work- Radar senate meets you description. Stable and predictable ski for open water- will take you into the course from 28mph to 34 mph. If you're on a budget keep an eye on ski-it-again for one. If you want to try one out on the course all you need to do is drive to Indiana.
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I would recommend a rear boot (vs open heel).
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I feel like you're right, but I've gotten so used to starting with one foot out over the years! And thanks for the input skiyaker, but Indiana is a jont from where I'm at! I know of a few places in the state with slalom courses, so I'll make the road trip when I'm ready!

I figured as much but it's not that hard to get used to and the additional control is worth it. You're young, switch to a full boot and you'll never look back.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Tons of quality slalom sticks out there. Look closely and research them. Look up every ski manufacturer and read about their different ski's. They all have pro models as well as models that would more suit you and your abilty.
    The rear boot vs RTP is an ongoing arguement that will forever go on in my mind. Personally I ski with a double binding set up but in the end it's a matter afo preference. I ski with guys who run into some short line lengths and they won't wear double boots.
    If I can give you any advice it would be do not purchase a ski you're not ready to ski on! It might cost a little more in the long run but it's well worth it. I am saying that from experience.
    I happen to have an HO System 8 blank that I'd be willing to make a good deal on. I started skiingon it when I got back into the sport a few years back and since then have gone through 3 more ski's and am currently riding an HO A3. There is no comparison in the two ski's. If I would have bought the A3 first I wouldn't have been able to ski on it.
    Good luck man and when you do find a ski your next step should be to seek out some coaching!
    Let us know what you end up riding?
    2014 Centurion Carbon Pro

2004 Ski Nautique 196 LE - SOLD
    2004 Outback DD - SOLD
    1995 Supra TSM6 Comp - SOLD

2017 - 67" Radar Lithium Vapor Pro Build w/ Radar Vapor Boa Bindings

Stay STACKED & Pull HARD!!!

Radar Senate!

Any way to demo a few at a local ski shop? A double boot is the only way to go. Line was said above, switch now while you are young and you will never go back.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Default ncie

I feel like you're right, but I've gotten so used to starting with one foot out over the years! And thanks for the input skiyaker, but Indiana is a jont from where I'm at! I know of a few places in the state with slalom courses, so I'll make the road trip when I'm ready!
    naeem

Quote Originally Posted by 996scott View Post
    Any way to demo a few at a local ski shop? A double boot is the only way to go. Line was said above, switch now while you are young and you will never go back.
    I totally agree with the double boot but after getting two orthoscopic surgeries on my right knee I will be going to a slip in next year. I borrowed a ski this summer and it was the first one leg start in 25 years and what a strange feeling going the other way. The tight start is too much torque on my knee and considering my loss of skills it doesn't really matter.

These guys on this board are great for advice and there are only a few skiiers left to get the advice from. I will be hitting them up later in the winter for a ski I may need to get. I'm waiting as I am starting my protein diet back up and hope to lose some more weight which influences what type ski to get but at 58 years old I am just happy to get back on the lumber (old school term).
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD