Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Engine Sputter is back

So, After I installed my surf system on my 92 Sunsport (in June), I found it was spraying water onto the gas tank breather valve. Sure enough, it coughed and sputtered part way into the evening and I couldn't drive it with a decent load on the engine. If I went over 10mph, it would make a "bump bump bump" sound and too much more throttle and it would sputter and cough. I've had trouble with the gas breather valve before as the OEM location was getting water when I slammed the boat for surfing. I moved it to the starboard side and didn't really have any major issues until I installed the surf system that was spraying water right at the vent. Obviously, I moved the vent again.

So, when that sputter happened back in June, I put some Heet in the tank, then drained the whole tank (well as much as I could using an electric fuel pump--The boat is parked on a bit of a slope, so the hose in the tank got most of the gas out). I then changed the fuel filter. Finally, I filled up the tank with new gas. When I next used the boat, it did have the same inability to handle much of a load for the first few minutes (obviously the fuel in the system). But then it ran normal and I'd only had a brief hesitation maybe a couple times since (and I've done probably a good 5 to 10+ trips since then, certainly running it longer and harder). I've also moved the fuel tank breather to way up by the front windshield to get it so it's away from all the water at the stern that my boat sees when surfing. All the gas that I drained out of the boat (around 22 gallons) I put into my 2000 Jeep Wrangler and it seemed to consume it just fine.

Today, we went out and played for quite a few hours. Surfed a bunch. Then we drained our bags and motored to drop off our friends and start heading back to the launch. We did a good 5 to 10 minutes at 25 to 30mph. Then out of nowhere, hesitation cough sputter. And the identical scenario where I couldn't go more than 10 to 12mph with out hearing the engine making a "bump bump bump" noise and the same sputter cough with more throttle.

So tonight, I've again drained as much gas as I could out of the boat (around 20 gallons) and put it into my wife's Honda Ridgeline. I went on a test drive with the Ridgeline and it drove completely normal. I've also pulled the fuel filter and will throw another new one in before the next outing. I'll fill the tank with new gas, and throw a bottle of Heet in there just in case.

It seems like these are all classic "water in the gas" symptoms, but I'm a little stumped as to why this is happening again. What am I missing? I have the PCM Pro Boss with the protec. It has a carb, not EFI. I'd Really like this saga to come to an end...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

What octane are you using? I had problems before when using 87. I now only use a minimum of 91, but I am also at a high elevation.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    What octane are you using? I had problems before when using 87. I now only use a minimum of 91, but I am also at a high elevation.
    This year I started to use 87.

Per PCM, 87 is fine.
    http://www.pcmengines.com/faqs/
    Pleasurecraft fuel injected engines are calibrated to operate on 87 octane fuel and maximum performance is obtained when using this fuel. The ignition timing set by the factory requires the use of a high-quality lead free regular gasoline with an octane specification of (R+M/2).

Like I said, I have been going out 2 to 3 times a week all summer long (with the exception of a 3 week period where I couldn't use my boat because of other plans. But even after sitting, I've gone out 2 trips with zero issues until yesterday).

I've been running gas from the same Shell station and fill up after every trip. Again, I've done a ton of hard motoring with no issues.

What's kind of compelling that it's the water in the fuel thing is that in June when I drained my tank and refilled with new fuel, it ran poorly for the FIRST few minutes then was completely fine from there on out. So that tells me that draining the fuel was the solution last time and that the residual fuel in the line needed to get cleared out before the engine was happy again...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Hmmm. What about the tank itself? What kind is it? Is it possible it is deteriorating?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Maybe you can try a water fuel separator , I installed one in my old outback had no more issues with water after that , mine was a clear plastic so you can see the water build up in it .
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Hmmm. What about the tank itself? What kind is it? Is it possible it is deteriorating?
    The tank is a semi transparent material. Some type of plastic/composite.

Quote Originally Posted by papou View Post
    Maybe you can try a water fuel separator , I installed one in my old outback had no more issues with water after that , mine was a clear plastic so you can see the water build up in it .
    Would I just put one of those inline?
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Re: Engine Sputter is back

I can't use 87 unless it doesn't contain ethonol, most had stations have 10+ percent added. Makes my boat sputter and run like crap. I have to use premium instead..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default Engine Sputter is back

Yes install in line and you can bleed the water by the valve at the bottom .

Image taken from google
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

So I added a bottle of heet into the tank, then drained it and put the fuel into my wife's truck. (which has consumed the fuel with no issues).

I filled the tank with new fuel, but put in 2 bottles of HEET for good measure to go with the new E10 gas. Since I wanted to keep some things consistent for comparability and troubleshooting, I gave it 87 octane again like I have all year. My old roomie was a lifetime ford mechanic and build ford drag racing engines. He confirmed that what PCM said was accurate, that our engines are designed to run on 87 and unless we're running high compression or doing something to advance the timing, that 87 is all it needs.

I changed the fuel filter (water separator) and also checked the filter (screen) that's on the carbauerator itself and it looked great. I sprayed that screen with carb cleaner for good measure. Likewise, I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in the engine while it was running on the garden hose with the new gas in it.

It seems like this stuff worked??? I didn't have any problems last night and burned about 9 gallons of gas. I was going at speed most the time.

I guess we'll see what happens from here on out...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If your other vehicles are drinking the "bad gas" with no issues, doesn't that make you suspect that maybe it's not the gas after all. Perhaps something in the distributor, vacuum lines or carb itself?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...