Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boat Speed

Default Replying to Topic 'Boat Speed'

Smokedog

No disrespect, but I don't think that you foot. If you did, you would understand the need for speed. Yes gas is expensive, and up here in Canada it costs more like $5 per gallon.
    In contrast, if you golf, it too is expensive. Personally, I would rather spend $60 in fuel instead of golfing. That being said, we go footing once per week, and if that is your pleasure, then you need the boat to do what the MFG claims it will do - 45mph. As for your lund, I bet it is a great boat for tubing and other wally type activities, but you buy a tournament ski boat, because you need it to do specific things. Primarily, for the wake characteristics at different speeds. Fishing is why you buy a Lund not one of the reasons you buy a Moomba. I recognize Docdrs name on here(he also posted on this page re. speed) and he and I compete in barefoot endurance racing - yeah - 17 miles on your barefeet, we have an expectation that our boats will do 45mph. So, if an extra hp or change in prop are required...

jj29ca, easy on sd2. He does sometimes go a little off track but has been very helpful to myself and many others.

Who told you 45mph is what the outback would do.... dealer???

I had my old outback up to around 44 by not for long.

I have footed in the past, and sure as heck wasn't going to go 45.

But to try to help you out I am sure a different pitch prop would increase your speed some.

Have a good one.

Db

holy %&*#@$$! ....48mph, thats awesome. Hey Ed, did you have another moomba before the 03? curious as to what that one did if you ever gps'd it, my 99 will do 46 on a warm day in may when the water is still cold ( more dense?) better thrust and boyancy? is it the acme 3 blade or the standard oj prop. i know jj will be pissed your getting 48 . whats your rpm at that speed?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Off track? I don’t even see a train.

I wish I had GPS data. I loaned mine to the Boy Scout Leader, he gave it to his wife to give to mine at work to return to me. It was never seen again.

I like football, especially the Vikings but I hear they are setting a bad example for lacrosse players.

Where is the "BMW tractor of the boating world" guy? I liked that description.

I’m not off track; I’m at the bus station waiting for that new cruise ship the size of Rhode Island.

My wife finds my jokes opaque.

SD2

Oh, It is my uneducated opinion that perfectpass eats a mile or two at the top end simply due to the tight cable control needed limiting the high end travel. If you have it, you might try disconnecting it. I bet Ed is PP free.
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Im going to take my GPS out tonight on my 05 outback, and i will post exactly what I can get her to do.. Im pretty sure its around 48 also!
    2005 Moomba Outback

With just my 200+lbs in the boat I get around 48MPH in my 04 LSV and I have PP.

Well for those of you who are barefooters, and it seems that there are a few replying, check out www.canadabarefoot.com. Although the page is not yet updated, this years event will be held on September 30, 2006. This is an amazing event, total fun. Guys from as far away as Florida and Colorado come up here to take part in this great event. (I have taken my Moomba from Canada to Winter Haven Florida - its only 23 hours drive) So, get your buddies together, hook up your Moomba's and enjoy the footing experience, Canadian style. It is a 17 mile barefoot endurance race and you will ski through all types of conditions, followed by a bbq. But if 17 miles isn't challenging, remember, if you join our tail gate party the night before, chances are, you will be hung over when you ski it!!!

I just test drove an Outback with the MPI engine upgrade last Saturday. We topped ou at just over 46 mph with two on board and half a tank of gas. I have to say that I was VERY impressed with the driving performance of this boat. It was FAST out of the hole, tracked straight and cornered beautifully. I was sold. I'm an outboard engine deveotee of over 20 years and although I had driven I/O (...not impressed), I had never driven a direct drive boat. WOW. What a difference...and what a beautiful wake. If it hadn't actually snowed(!) an hour before the test ride, I might have considered getting out on my ski.

Last night I ordered and Outback with the engine upgrade and hope to have it by mid-June. My wife and I can't wait to get out skiing, and cruising with the kids.

Dave W.
    (new Moomba owner!)

From a previous outboard devotee - I can tell you - you're never going back! The V-Drive I have has about the same wake as my old outboards, the direct drive of the regular outback you got is above and beyond it! MPI is very simple and worry free, boat is still CHEAP for what you are getting.

The only strange thing is getting used to driving them at low speeds, backing up only in one direction, and remembering you can't use tilt/trim in shallow situations.

Welcome!

-Joe

Welcome . You will not regret it.