Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boat Speed

Default Replying to Topic 'Boat Speed'

I believe these boats are speed limited. Its due the angle of thrust. The prop drives the
    the water,thrust, downward, thus lifting the back of the boat up or the driving the front of the boatdown ,plowing into the water . After a certain speed/thrust more thrust just increase the drag proportionally. 48 mph may be close the the top end you will ever get. I know a guy who had a mastercraft 8.5 lt super charged engine and it wouldn't go any faster than 46 mph, Its just sucked a lot of gas. For top speed as said earlier the cnc acme props are one of the best and will prob give you up to 3 more mph.
    my 2 cents worth
    oh and by the way once you get the 3 more, your going to want another 3 more
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

It is all about "hull speed" - talk to a sailor, they know this term very well. The drag on the hull will only allow it to go so fast through the water. Hydrodynamic friction causes it to slow down, so does the drag caused by the turbulence at the rear end - the more there is the higher the pressure and the more "sucking" it gets. These boats are desgned to have a lot of the rear hull in the water(more displacement, more drag), they sit very low, vs some runabouts that can plane a little higher out of the water and get closer to 50... but we are only talking a few mph here. To get over that requires a hydroplane, hydrofoil, or tremendous horsepower and a higher planing hull that litteraly launches the boat so that it is barely in the water (deep vee racers are a good example)

Hope this helps,

Joe

My '05 XLV (73 hours) with the 5.7 MPI (340hp) engine runs 65 kph (kilometers per hour) which means 35 knots or 40 mph.

... and I think the fuel consumption is times 4 compared to normal wakeboard speed...

My 2005 XLV does 44MPH (not verified with a GPS yet). That agrees with two on-line boat tests that I saw beforehand. One said 44.1, the other 44.6. This is exceedingly convenient, as insurance rates here in Canada jump dramatically if your boat does 45MPH or more. Yes, they did still have the threshold in MPH the last time I checked (not KmPH). I guess that it's because the guages on boats are still in MPH.

Around 38-40MPH, you can hear the last of the intake ports open up. That "whoosh" sound isn't air. It's the sound of money being sucked out of your wallet. I seldom get near WOT because of the much higher fuel consumption.

Ian
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

My goal is to consume enough gas to make the payment look small.

It means I'm using the boat!

Kitchen pass is in hand, I'm headed for the lake this weekend - (yep Mothers Day weekend, first time in about 5 years)

05 LSV low 40s MPH

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

I ran my 05 outback to about 46 mph yesterday and I could hear the loud gulping noise comming from the engine as it sucked back the gas fatser than the pump can put it in..

Im with you guys running these boats any faster than wakeboarding speed isnt a great investment. If we could just get prices back down to about .80 a litre (No idea what that would be in gallons) maybe it wouldnt hurt as much.

Thanks for another cheap boating season W
    2005 Moomba Outback

Originally posted by smokedog2
    My goal is to consume enough gas to make the payment look small.

It means I'm using the boat!

Kitchen pass is in hand, I'm headed for the lake this weekend - (yep Mothers Day weekend, first time in about 5 years)

SD2
    Yeah man, in a similar spot here. Son and I are taking off Thr afternoon for a 3 day, Mothers Day Weekend camping and boating trip.

You folks have fun on Mother's Day. I am ditching mom and my Moomba. Saturday is Sacred in SC. Four seats, sixth row: Darlington. After I pick the rubber out of my teeth I can hopefully get out Sunday Afternoon.
    I mess with Texas

just read your post about lack of speed with your moomba. Fact is, Moomba's lack top end speed. I have never heard of a moomba doing 50 mph (and given top barefoot boats, 375 to 400 hp only do 50, I have trouble believing a moomba will hit 50) i have an 03 outback and I barefoot all the time. The wake, with the wake plate is not terrible, albeit, it's no sanger. However, the only way to increase top end is change the prop. I put an Acme prop on and it made about a two mile per hour difference, but if you are a serious footer, start looking for your next boat, the Moomba won't cut it in the long run. If your looking for a budget boat Gekko GTR with their 375 hp engine just got AWSA approved for footing. Sorry I can't tell you something better, but I have spent hours testing props, speaking with Moomba reps, dealers, guys at the Moomba plant and no one is promising that the boat will hit the speeds us footers want. Even with the 340 hp motor, it may not even get the speed your looking for. It really is too bad, everything else about the boat I really like.

My back is killing me from moving the tetherball tire (full of cement). I’m too old for that, probably too old to barefoot at 50 MPH too.

40 HP on the Lund, wish it was 50. My friend with a Rinker 245 HP wants another 50 (or 100) and now you tell me 325 is not enough, I should have 400 HP. 75 more HP to get 5 MPH faster! Did you notice gas at $3.00 and change a week or so ago?

I have a little experience with minimum power. We used to wakeboard behind the Lund (that was a sight). I found that the kids were just fine. Adults that had wakeboarded before were fine (talk about addicts). I was fine – at least I could get up behind the boat. But there were a few guys - the large guys - that were very consistently unsuccessful.

Something for the boat buyer to ponder as you paint a mental picture of jj –

as he opines for just a little more horsepower.

SD2

Oh, the football players did just fine behind the Moomba.

(and if there is any doubt jj, I’m just having a little fun – I’m sure you’re a rock (double entendre intended)).
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth