Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some pointers

My son has progressed to the point that he can go W2W but wants to do more and get more air -- anyone have some tips? TIA

EDIT: Video seems really tiny, might be easier to view directly from the link:
    Last edited by mikenehrkorn; 08-01-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Default Re: Need some pointers

Videos don't work.. I'd guess and say less speed more edge and pop..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

First time trying to post video and the Vimeo seems to work for me but obviously not for others....

Here is the youtube link, hopefully that will work: http://youtu.be/3cWLRL349VU
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Though my problem ended up being a too-steep wake (needed ballast in bow), I'd say that he needs to practise the Standing Tall move that you'll see at http://www.learnwake.com/ (subscription needed if that particular one isn't a freebee right now).

Also, to help for next the next video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini

Default Re: Need some pointers

Wow, that's a short rope..

Ditto..Learn wake standing tall drill and perfect setup video. Also what line length and speed, seems very close to the boat..
    Last edited by parrothd; 08-02-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I think it's a 65' rope tied off to something like 55-60'. Does that make any difference? Also running at about 20-20.5 mph.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    My son has progressed to the point that he can go W2W but wants to do more and get more air -- anyone have some tips? TIA

EDIT: Video seems really tiny, might be easier to view directly from the link:

His setup and turn into the wake is too abrupt. The sharp turn, hard edge way out wide is causing him to decelerate and release the edge as he comes into the wake. Additionally have him practice some wake jumps with straight legs (stiffies).

I would definitely let the rope out longer to give him more time to setup his approach back in to the wake. 60' is the shortest I would go.

Highly recommend learn wake. Great resource!

The video below is my son tyler riding. I added this video to show the setup and the slow transition back into the wake.

Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Todd whats your sons wakeboarding setup. Speed, ballast, wakeplate?
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    Todd whats your sons wakeboarding setup. Speed, ballast, wakeplate?
    We change things up alot depending on what he's trying to accomplish for that particular set and it's different for different boats.

competition pass practice on our LSV he rides 70' @22.5
    Ballast Stock 1800 full with additional 540 in the bow. Wake plate @ 50

He enjoys free riding our LSV 75' @22.8
    Ballast stock 1800 full with 800 in bow and another 540 in the floor. Wake plate @50 or as high as I can get it and keep wake from rolling over. He likes this setup to just go as big as he can and take all his stuff to the flats.
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Quote Originally Posted by tnbrooks01 View Post
    We change things up alot depending on what he's trying to accomplish for that particular set and it's different for different boats.
    Good. He should be exposed to a variety of conditions in order to know the difference.
    He enjoys free riding our LSV 75' @22.8
    Ballast stock 1800 full with 800 in bow and another 540 in the floor. Wake plate @50 or as high as I can get it and keep wake from rolling over. He likes this setup to just go as big as he can and take all his stuff to the flats.
    I recommend experimenting with the wakeplate some more. I've been getting better results by have the wake a bit less steep than it can be made to be. Too steep meant that there was less ramp and just not being able to capture all of the energy from it. The visible symptom is trouble with fully standing tall at the top of the wake. If he's not having trouble with that, there's no problem.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini