Default Boatmate trailer single axle wheel very hot to touch

So just got boat out of shop for fuel pump replacement. When I got home noticed burning smell. Left side wheel nut lugs and hub very hot to touch. Would this caused by bad wheel bearings or by sticking brakes? How would one check? I'd like to trouble shoot today so we can save next weekend. Season is really short here now.

Concerned single axle will leave us stranded on way to the lake 35 miles away.
    2008 LS

Hey KurtL,

My first bet would be your bearings. I had a bearing failure last year on my single axle and it was a PITA. Either have a trailer or bearing place service them or service them yourself, if you are inclined. I will be servicing my bearings every spring after having a blown bearing on the highway.

Richard
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Did it have a distinct smell? Sounds like sticking brakes to me. Jack up the side that is hot and see if it will turn easily if not it is likely the brakes. You can try bleeding the trailer brakes, most likely you will need to replace a bad caliper. You can always let the pressure off at the caliper to loosen the brakes unless the caliper is badly rusted then it will be stuck.
    2009 XLV (Sold)

Jack the whole trailer and spin it the wheels. If that one drags more that the other then check the brakes. You can also hear extra dragging.

If a bearing is failing then there is going to be slack in the hub either from excessive wear or lack of grease.

Using Tapatalk on my Aye-phone
    William

2013 Mobius LSV
    "Surf" Swim Platform, Gravity III Ballast Upgrade with 750s in the rear lockers and a Heater
    JL M600/6 Amp, 6 Cabin Speakers (4 kicker & 2 Polk Audio), 2-Samson S7HD Tower Speakers, JL M10IB5 Sub

My Boat

Are they oil hubs.... Do they have oil?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    When stuck inside......
    Hanging out here and at my favorite camping and truck forums
    same name at www.dogandtrailer.com and www.duramaxforum.com
    2006 Mobius LS, 2009 Sydney Outback 310 BHS, 2011 Duramax - My toys

More than likely they are greased hubs. However, if the hubs were that hot the grease probably liquified and leached out through the seals.

I forgot to tell you another test you can do. Take your finger and rub it on the back side of the wheel. If it comes back with this dusty blackish stuff on it then you have a dragging brake if it comes back covered with this sticky dirt stuff then you more than likely have a failing bearing.

Using Tapatalk on my Aye-phone
    William

2013 Mobius LSV
    "Surf" Swim Platform, Gravity III Ballast Upgrade with 750s in the rear lockers and a Heater
    JL M600/6 Amp, 6 Cabin Speakers (4 kicker & 2 Polk Audio), 2-Samson S7HD Tower Speakers, JL M10IB5 Sub

My Boat

Thanks for all the help everyone. Actually was badly stuck caliper. Had to have it shipped overnight to save weekend. Gas mileage suddenly increased
    2008 LS