Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I came up with the idea of captaining the boat for my wife to have a "girls night" on the water. (she drives the boat, but I always do all the docking, loading, and backing duties. So I'll be captain and she'll get to host a night with the girls). She's super stoked to be doing this. (And hey, who am I to complain if I'm the captain for a boat full of hot women, right???)
    There is only one downside I can see to that picture -- you can't participate yourself. Otherwise sounds like a hell of a deal to me!!!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

I recently sold my '89 DD. It's 25 years old and still running great. I had to put a few thousand into vinyl but other than that had no major expenses. The steering and throttle cables have failed recently which is really about the worst of the age related failures. We only "upgraded" because we wanted a V-drive.

One thing to consider is how simple these boats really are. There's a motor, some cables, a (simple) transmission, a prop and a rudder. I'm actually wondering if the newer boats will last as long as the older ones due to the increasing complexity. For example: ballast system components, hydraulic systems for control trim tabs/wake plates, electronic controls etc. all add failure points that may require more dealer specific parts that will go obsolete at some point. I cringe thinking about the longevity of the newest wakeboard boats that have the fancy touch screen controller. I'm sure they are the slick, but how will you repair those when they fail after 10 years?
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I live in Dora Al. Smith lake is my home lake

Not counting bass boats
    2004 stingray 190lx 2 yrs
    2006 Moomba Outback 5 months
    2013 Moomba LSV 13 months and counting
    and looking to trade in on a 2015 MOJO
    2013 LSV
    2006 outback DD sold
    2004 Stingray 180LX sold

David

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    There is only one downside I can see to that picture -- you can't participate yourself. Otherwise sounds like a hell of a deal to me!!!!
    Yeah, but I can take one evening to spoil the wife and take in all the eye candy. Plus, I'll have plenty to look forward to when we get back home. hahahaha
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default How long do you keep your boat?

We swap boats every 2 years. We put lots of hours on them and move on to something else.

However, my truck is 10yrs old and the wife's car is 5yrs old with no plans to swap either of them any time soon.
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

For those that change so frequently, how do you come out on the right side of it? Or do you just accept some value of depreciation every year?
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

My '08 21v is our first and probably will be held for a long time (4 yrs so far) with the way boat prices are going, for something you can't even sleep in $100k is just crazy. But to each there own, if you got it you got it.
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

Trayson, A night that ends with participation is usually a good night

I'm interested in the loss y'all plan to take upgrading every two or three years and if you are starting with a significant amount down. I got lucky with my first purchase being timed during the industry incline (Nada now is what I paid 4 years, 400 hours ago) and am afraid of the cost to swap.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

A boat, just like a car, is a financial expense, not an investment. But, how many great family memories have you made on your boat?

Love what ya got (boat & family), thank God for what ya got, forget about financial gains/losses and get out on the lake!
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 08-02-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    A boat, just like a car, is a financial expense, not an investment. But, how many great family memories have you made on your boat. Love what ya got (boat & family), thank God for what ya got, forget about financial gains/losses and get out on the lake!
    Amen!!.......
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold