Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Davpmars View Post
    Oh my gosh... I didn't realize my typo in the thread topic until now. Dang auto correct!
    Handled.

With and inboard if you get one that was maintained and you pick up where they left off you can save a ton and it will last a long time. Google 1998 Moomba. The 2015 line is coming out right now so that would make those 17 years old. Notice how many hits you get. Still running.

Assuming engine is properly winterized and oil changed, etc., the most expensive other items are stringer/floor work and interior wear/replacement. Moombas since at least 2000 (earlier anyone?) have had no wood in them so they should last forever if not abused. And, vinyl work can be done in a cost effective manner if you are willing to remove the cushions and skins yourself and just have the covers made. I am working on a new mail order solution for that which I will be sharing here in the next few weeks after my test run.

I would not be afraid of a 5 year old boat, especially if I knew its maintenance history.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

My boat is new this year but my plan is that it will be the last V-Drive boat i get. My wife has no use for the water sports and once my daughter leaves home (8-10 years from now) i will have no one family wise to go out with... at this point we will either probably transition to a pontoon boat (wife has balance issues and they are nice and stable) or just sell and get out of boating altogether. No of course things could change... if my daughter stays close by then thats a different story. hard to say right now other than i'm sure this will be the last tournament boat we will have... i plan on getting my money out of it!
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Until my wife tells me we can get the next one.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by saskyrider View Post
    My wife has no use for the water sports and once my daughter leaves home (8-10 years from now) i will have no one family wise to go out with...
    This is my fear... But I'm thinking keep the tournament boat for the kids to use and settle down to a pontoon or cruiser?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

My wife has no use for the water sports and once my daughter leaves home (8-10 years from now)
    this could be me in 3 yrs when my daughter graduate's high school
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Handled.

With and inboard if you get one that was maintained and you pick up where they left off you can save a ton and it will last a long time. Google 1998 Moomba. The 2015 line is coming out right now so that would make those 17 years old. Notice how many hits you get. Still running.

Assuming engine is properly winterized and oil changed, etc., the most expensive other items are stringer/floor work and interior wear/replacement. Moombas since at least 2000 (earlier anyone?) have had no wood in them so they should last forever if not abused. And, vinyl work can be done in a cost effective manner if you are willing to remove the cushions and skins yourself and just have the covers made. I am working on a new mail order solution for that which I will be sharing here in the next few weeks after my test run.

I would not be afraid of a 5 year old boat, especially if I knew its maintenance history.
    I will be interested in your vinyl solution.

I don't know about the Moombas, as I am not sure when Skiers choice acquired the brand. But on my Supra, I have the FIRST year of all composite, and it's 1992. My boat will most certainly hold its value as it's very sought after as one of if not the best entry level "budget" direct drive that can do ski/wakeboard/surf with tons of freeboard, etc. I also milkshaked my transmission so it has a fresh rebuild on it, and my engine is under 700 hours... some of the vinyl could use some love. the carpets likewise, but overall it's solid and people are amazed that I have a 22 year old boat.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    This is my fear... But I'm thinking keep the tournament boat for the kids to use and settle down to a pontoon or cruiser?

My daughter was lukewarm on the boat but now that she has figured out the wakeboard she has a lot more interest. I'm going to work on getting her surfing this year as well...

And maybe in 10 years im in a position to not worrying about a boat and keep it just because..
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

My wife has no use for the water sports
    I guess I'm lucky. My wife is in it for the long haul. and most of our friends are younger than us, so that helps too. She loves being on the boat and even enjoys driving the boat. She has no desire to have a boat that wouldn't support wakeboarding and surfing. She poo-poo's our friends that talk about pontoon boats. So I'm safe!

I came up with the idea of captaining the boat for my wife to have a "girls night" on the water. (she drives the boat, but I always do all the docking, loading, and backing duties. So I'll be captain and she'll get to host a night with the girls). She's super stoked to be doing this. (And hey, who am I to complain if I'm the captain for a boat full of hot women, right???)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I bought my supra in '07 as an '06 new. sold in '12 and it still performed flawlessly. no real maintenance issues at the 350hr mark. a very solid boat that still had many great years left in her...
    my current boat was what I traded for. I would really like to trade it in toward something that is a nicer color scheme and could lose some of the options I have on it, but knowing what I paid for it and what I would spend to replace for the same surf wave, I think I'll have it for many years, and with boat prices, unless there's another recession, I don't see myself ever owning a new boat again. pricing is getting real stupid..

my buddy has a mid-90's boomerang that is still running great, solid body and has had some upholstery work but still a blast to ride in. I see that boat running for many more years.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

My wife has no use for the water sports
    That's all of our worst fears....

Thank God, my wife grew up on the water boating and still has all the "tricks" -- skiing, wakeboarding and now surfing. And she turns the big 5-0 this year so I count myself very lucky.

My best scenario is that my two kids will be fighting over the boat in 8-10 yrs (they will be mid-20s) and my wife and I will head out on the pontoon to get in everyone's way like the pontoon-ers do to us today on our lake...
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...