Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Helmet or no helmet, that is the question !

So does it make sense that a helmet would help when falling on a wakeboard. Obviously riding in a park or surfing way too close to the transom of the boat is understandable because there is a potential to hit a hard object but just getting pulled in the middle of the lake, does it make sense to buy a helmet for water crashes.

Have any of you been hit in the head with your own wakeboard. I can say that I think the chances of eating a wakeboard are way less than a ski but I am just putting the feelers out there on this topic. I have had this discussion with my wife many times but I just don't see how it would help anything.

I have cracked my head on my board when I was younger... board fell off on a wipeout and wake carried it Into the back of my head.. opened me up for 5 stitches

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

I am seeing more and more people putting on the helmet at our lake. My son did a couple of cart wheels when slalom skiing the other day without a helmet and that made me think it may be nice to have even skiing.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

Certainly wouldn't hurt. I've seen the tops of ears cut off, split eyebrows, concussions, etc. Personally I didn't want to wear a helmet because I figured people would be "check this guy out, he's going to be good". And then they'd see me ride... Stupid I know. Another family's dad's rule was that if you're going to go big, you wear a helmet. His definition of going big was anything more than simple W2W.

I don't WB much anymore and for me don't really care what somebody else would think so go for it. Ear coverage was the other thing to look into if I recall.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I typically do not ride with a helmet but any more when I start trying new tricks I find myself digging the helmet out of the boat and putting it on. I do not know if it is mental or if it helps but it cannot hurt when you whip out hard a bunch of times in a row.
    I carry one in the boat. If we have a teenager or kid riding boards that do not fit them properly or way too big, we seam to stick a helmet on them.
    I think we probably should do it with everyone but do not.
    2007 supra 21v

Do you guys think it helps with the impact of your head actually hitting the water or is it more for when the board comes off your feet and hits you. I have seen some nasty cuts from skis as I mentioned before because I think they fly off a lot easier and especially when double skiing, when you fall forward you can land on the actual ski.

I dont think a helmet would make the impact with the water any less or am I mistaken. Are there any brain surgeons in this chat>

For me I do not know so much if it is the head impacts but it helps the water in the ears. My helmet has side flaps over my ears and when I whip out hard I get bad ear infections or sinus congestion.

With the younger ones it is the board hitting them in the head.
    2007 supra 21v

It would help with any blow to the head whether striking board or just the surface of the water.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

It is very simple. A helmet will protect any blow to the head if it is fits correctly. I do not wakeboard without one. I have knocked myself out then after I started wearing a helmet I have not knocked myself out. It is funny having new people on the boat and they know I own the boat and see me putting on the helmet I hear them say "Wow he must be a pro" Then they wee me ride and go "are you kidding me. he crashed a lot" But it is all in fun.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Growing up we never wore helmets when riding bikes, snow skiing or water skiing. I guess as we become more educated about dangers of head impacts we start to wear helmets. I always wear one snow skiing so I guess should consider one while wakeboarding.

Couldn't hurt, right?
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig