Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Seen plenty of guys on the slopes who have definitely hit their heads a few times at least.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

My friend always rides with a helmet and he swears that the falls rattle him less with it on (normal falls into the water, not even considering hitting a board etc)
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I would think a mouthguard would help as much as a helmet ... but I hate wearing one for hockey cant imagine jn the summer when its hot out...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

For the mouthguard I mean... helmet in hockey obciously necessary

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

Default Helmet or no helmet, that is the question !

No helmet for us except at the cable because it's mandatory. I do not knock some one if they feel better wearing one but I do not think the current technology in action sports helmets is where it needs to be in regards to correct fit and proper protection. Bern and Shred ready are getting better but IMO still don't fit properly. Everyone's head is different and a simple s,m,l,xl doesn't cut it. Removable and custom sized padding is where it's at but that costs more money and I'm not sure the helmet companies see a need for it or think a market exists for custom properly fitted helmets.

As for learning new tricks, I know accidents can happen anytime and that's why we use a very low impact method for teaching new tricks.
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

I just don't know that my head hitting the water would be any different wearing a helmet VS not. Now snow skiing I wouldn't even attempt without a helmet on. I got out west every year and board and always wear a helmet, those trees come up fast. I just dont know that the physics are there in the water. Even though it does hurt landing on the water, your head is like a sphere that will break the plane of the water, if your wearing a helmet i would think the deceleration rate would be exactly the same.

I guess this is the reason for my post

I picked one up about a month ago and I feel a lot more comfortable wearing it and willing to push a little harder. After catching a toe edge while sporting my new lid I was pleasantly surprised how much better I felt compared to similar tumbles I've had in the past and got right back on it when I would have likely called it a night otherwise. Could be a bit of placebo effect, but I'm keeping it for now!
    2013 Mobius LSV
    2004 Centurion T5

Probably not the best example but try punching the wall with your bare fist.

Now put on a snow glove and do it again. Did it hurt less?

Snow glove doesn't have that much padding - but a little. Kind of like a helmet; if it fits properly.

(I'm no expert - I just pay attention to what the guys around me do.)
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Ya helmets , I don't always ware one but when I do , I'm going big
    I keep 3 sizes on my boat and it's your option to ware it most people are smart enough to protect their noggin after their first hard fall . Even tho it may not fit 100% right it does protect your head from being cracked open and break the water surface tension on a hard fall .
    Just today I was out surfing and did have my helmet on while doing double 360 I hooked the tail fell back first the board flew up and landed on my head ,the helmet has a dent in it now and not my head somehow my elbow got sliced open .
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

I have given myself plenty of headaches and whiplash crashing on the wakeboard.

Yes, in open water people crash and they can "scorpion" and slide their head open. Also, when I get a helmet, I will be getting one with ear flaps. I've heard plenty of stories about blowing out eardrums as the ear slaps the water.

As far as water being all that different than snow with helmets, I really think that water feels just as hard on impact as anything else. Sure it gives, but the rate of your body hitting it vs the rate that the water will give is going to make it feel hard.

I mean, think about the fact that people regularly dislocate their shoulders and stuff when cliff jumping from like 20 to 30 feet. I know that when I crash, I'm coming down from easily 5 to 10 feet in the air, not to mention the fact that I'm travelling over the water at 20mph!

Bottom line, if it hurts, there's a significant impact you're dealing with.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com