Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How long do you keep your boat?

I'm curious to know how long you boat owners plan to keep your boats before they reach a point where they are too much trouble to maintain so is time to get a new one?

I have bean told many times that "if you take care of it, it will last forever" yes I know that, but what is a reasonable amount of time that given regular upkeep that YOU would keep a boat before swapping it for a new/newer one?
    Last edited by kaneboats; 08-01-2014 at 11:28 AM.

I plan to keep my BODY my whole life!!! Sorry, couldn't resist your typo.....

My .02....

Assuming the boat still meets all your needs, I see no reason to change. I'm a fairly new inboard owner (little over a year) and traded up from my I/O that I had for about 10 yrs. That boat was in great shape and if the I/O still met all my needs I'm fairly sure I would still have it.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

so far my boat ownership record is 7yrs
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Longest I've kept a boat ,car,truck is 8 years .I usually get tired of looking at the same vehicle,this time around tho I may have to keep them longer:looking to purchase a villa in Costa Rica
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

My general rule of thumb for all my vehicles is 10 years, Got to get your moneys worth out of them!
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I expect 10-12 years. Still driving my '01 Suburban.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Like above, as long as it suites you, or you get the itch. We are on year 4 now I believe.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Oh my gosh... I didn't realize my typo in the thread topic until now. Dang auto correct!

I'm going to have to buy a boat about 5 years old in order to afford it. I know that many people say that boats are money pits but I think they have come a long way in reliability.

Have any of you noticed a point in the boats life where maintenance cost jumps up?
    2013 Moomba LSV

8yrs on a 13yr, uh maybe 14yr old boat. Has seen a lot of transformation and reconditioning though. Could easily get another 8yrs+ out of it, maybe more.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Until I can afford to upgrade is my basic rule of thumb.

I've had my 2000 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler since 2005. (I'd like to go a different direction with a 4 door JK Rubicon though but can't afford the jump.

I had my 99 Ninja ZX6R for a couple years until it got stolen while I was going through my divorced and didn't have access to my house to store it in. After that, I got a 2005 Ninja ZX6R 636 (fuel injection and undertail exhaust) and since it's paid for and it's still more bike than I am rider, there's really no reason for me to ever change. But If I had the money, I'd step up to a BMW S1000RR in a heartbeat because they're straight sexy.

I've had my 98 M3 Convertible since 2008. There's not much out there anywhere in the realm of affodability that would make me as happy.

I got a 99 Audi A6 Avant as our "snow-wagon" and drove it until the tranny took a dump this spring. So I sold that as a fixer and upgraded to a 02 Audi S6 Avant.

I have a Chalet Alpine hard sided popup a-frame camping trailer that our family has pretty much outgrown. I really want to upgrade to a small class C motorhome in the foreseeable future. Something that can tow the boat!!!

I got my 92 Supra Sunsport in spring of 2013. Once I can upgrade to a v-drive that will make me happy, I'll do so. Honestly, I could see my next boat being the forever boat if I get a seating arrangement that makes me happy. If the Sunsport was a V-drive I'd be down to keep it way longer. But since it doesn't have the ability to have hidden hard-plumbed ballast, it'll eventually get retired when I can afford the V-drive jump. Luckily, I added a NSS-style surf system and that's dramatically changed the capability and versitility of the boat for the better, so it's making it easier to hang onto.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com