Default '02 Outback DD Shaft Packing

I purchased this boat in March '14. It's 12 years old & had 187 hours when purchased / still only at 210 hours (low for age). Boat runs great but is taking on too much water in bilge (pump goes off like clockwork every hour). From what I've read here & based on the boat's age I'm assuming I need to re-pack the shaft. Seems like most of the forum talk centers around V drives and dripless though. Does anyone have instructions on how to get to this area under the floor on the Direct Drive? I understand when complete it should drip approx every 30 seconds.

I have also noticed one of my rubber muffler flaps has begun to bend outwards away from the body. Could this also be a mode for water to be entering? The boat seems to run a little "heavier" for lack of a better term after a full day of skiing (probably have been using reverse too much as my 6 year old is learning to get her bearings).

All of your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Here is a step by step with pics to do the job. the floor should pop up behind the motor housing and pull out from under the back seat. reverse shouldn't do anything to make it take on water if you are you would see it in the bilge.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=3
    Yellow over White 99 Mobius 21'open on jet black double axle

water can't get into the boat via the muffler flaps. they're really not even needed. the connect to your exhaust, and in turn the exhaust riser. unless you had a leak at the muffler outlet.

If you need to change your packing, water gets in there. Also there is either packing or a grease fitting for the rudder.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Thanks! Great link! Much appreciated