Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster - First Ride Impressions

So my new "secret weapon" finally got wet this weekend. Picked up an almost new 2013 Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster demo through a great lead from SandM (Thanks again!). I wanted a surf style board but couldn't justify going custom or forking out the $$ for similar big boy boards.

This is a 4'7" board and I'm 6'3 and 210ish so I was a little worried about it being too short. With a small wave it would probably not happen. With a decent to monster wave I think most guys could ride this no problem.

Absolutely love the carbon fiber finish on this thing - really pops.

The bottom edges have a bit of a curvature and rail to them vs smooth and flat like a skim board.

Super light weight. It's thicker than my other boards and won't fit in a normal wakeboard rack. So when you go to grab it, it's surprising how light it is. Comes with 10 fins, and 5 fin slots with multiple options. Yes, that's a whole lotta fins. I'm still a newbie at fin tuning so I stuck all 5 larger (2.9" I think) on it and set out.

Thinking it wouldn't budge with all those fins in the water I was quite surprised how squirrely it felt. Loose but fast! With the tip curling up more you have the ability to step on the go pedal a bit more than a flatter rocker board without pearling.

Early on it was clear the board is beyond where I'm at now but I'm looking forward to stepping up my game. It feels like it will spin fairly easy, even with all those fins, and is plenty buoyant. Also feels like some airs are definitely going to be easier.

I wasn't running enough weight up front so the pocket was a bit shorter on this first test run (which was also too short). Then I was messing around with a new GoPro remote I just got which was cool but distracting.

Anyway, here's a little vid of the first run fun.

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I must say - that's a damn good looking board! Most aren't.

glad you like it. that board looks amazing..
    much different than riding a skimstyle....

lose the middle back fin. most guys run a 4 fin setup..

enjoy..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Default Ronix Parks Carbon Thruster - First Ride Impressions

I have this board and love it. Bought a couple of fcs fins and run it as a twin. Super fast super loose. My favorite board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

Very slick looking board. My observation though: you need more wake or more board. Keep losing the pocket every time you try to do anything.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Kinda wish it were the 5' model, but another 400lbs up front makes the pocket a lot better.

Was hoping for another run last night but it was all sailboats on the river. Board didn't even come out of the locker.

I'm 6'4, 240ish and ride the 5'7;it's awesome!

Here's a vid from a couple of weeks ago ...

2014 Mojo w/Surf Flow
    330 Indmar
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    900 - Rears, 500 - Center, 650 - IBS
    4-Exile SXT9qs, Exile ZLD, Exile Bluetooth

Lookin good - so what fin setup are you running?

I'm planning to experiment more this weekend with just the 4 fins, maybe drop down to the smaller ones on the edges, play around with it.

If you want to ride my Koal Illuminati, you're more than welcome to. it's a 5'. i have the center fin out. it's really not that fast of a board. I rode the board you're on for demo days and it was cool. It didn't wow me. Certainly better that what I've got. The only board that's ever wow'd me was the Doomswell Drone.

I would imagine Newty's boards would wow me, but I have only ever ridden with him once when I was still pretty NEWB status.

I surfed last night out of desperation when there were freaking whitecaps even in the Hayden Island slough.
    This is how damn rough it was when I started!!! http://youtu.be/HwL-FOmUXK8?list=UUu...uss8sv6B8xganQ
    It'd been over 3 weeks since my boat left the driveway. The water calmed down at 8pm. And taking a sunset set was pretty awesome. I was mesmerized by my transom lights!
    Last edited by trayson; 07-30-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Lookin good - so what fin setup are you running?

I'm planning to experiment more this weekend with just the 4 fins, maybe drop down to the smaller ones on the edges, play around with it.
    I'm currently running with a twinzer setup with 2.9 on the outside and 2.3 on the inside forward slot.

I tried the fiver and triple, and found the twinzer set-up works best.

Next time out I'm going to put the 2.3 on the outside and 2.9 on the inside to check out the difference.

Awesome board on an awesome wave!
    2014 Mojo w/Surf Flow
    330 Indmar
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    900 - Rears, 500 - Center, 650 - IBS
    4-Exile SXT9qs, Exile ZLD, Exile Bluetooth