Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problems Starting Up (Cont'd)

So, we took the boat to the Marina, and they could not get the boat to reproduce the issue we are experiencing on the lake. We took the boat out for the first time in three weeks today, and stopped and started half a dozen times over a 2-3 hour period, and then later in the day, it happened again. The first time, it probably took a dozen attempts over a 15-minute period before we got the starter to engage. The second time, we didn't think it was going to restart, and we actually swam it to a nearby public dock. While my wife was off looking to see if there was a ramp at that park, I started messing around. I disconnected the quick connect from the ignition switch, and blew it out like an old Nintendo game. The first time I tried to start it up, I had disengaged the prop, the boat was full throttle, and it didn't crank. The second time, it started right up. This was after over 2 dozen attempts over an hour period. The issue we have is that the starter is not getting power when we switch the ignition, but only sometimes. When we pulled the boat onto the trailer, my wife stopped and started the boat two more times with no issues. I'd like to go ahead and change out the ignition switch and the associated quick connect. Does anyone know what type of ignition switch I need for a 2003 Moomba Outback LSV? I don't know if I need one directly from Moomba, or if I can just buy a generic one. I prefer that it fits the old hole, of course. Also, with the quick connect, is that something I can get from Lowe's, or is it something special. Is there a problem with removing the quick connect altogether? Finally, we could probably test out if the ignition switch is the problem next time, if there is a way to hotwire the boat. Is this possible? Can I just rub two wires together like in the movies? If so, which ones? All of these problems started when I had trouble starting the boat on July 4th. I was having trouble getting the engine to turnover, and tried to start the boat three times right in a row. The owner's manual says your supposed to give it a break between start attempts. Not sure if this did the damage, or was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Below is a link to my original thread.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....le-Starting-Up
    2003 Moomba Outback LSV

Default Problems Starting Up (Cont'd)

Order a new switch from Atlanta Marine. They will have the right one in your hands quickly.

Yes, you can easily hotwire your boat. Do a quick search of the forum for details.

Atlanta Marine had to order one. I guess they didn't have one lying around. I am in Atlanta, so it should be easy to get, once it is in.

I found the way to hotwire the boat, doing the search. If we don't have the ignition switch by this weekend, I am going to attempt this method, to determine if the switch is really the problem, if we have more problems.

Do you think the quick connect in the wiring for the ignition switch could have gone bad or gotten dirty? I'm thinking of changing that out, too. I've never installed a quick connect, and don't know if I would have to splice it in, or if the existing wires can just be connected to a new quick connect. I was also just considering removing it altogether. I'm not sure why it is there, other than just disconnecting power to the switch. We have a battery switch, so we can switch power off, there.
    2003 Moomba Outback LSV

More than likely it's the switch and not the connector. Shine a flasglight in the connector and make sure the leads are clean and not corroded. When installing new switch, use some dielectric grease. There's a history of these switches failing.
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles
    3 vent heater (which my family loves)

Where am I installing this dielectric grease? At the wire connections? Do you have a link to what I need to use? I'd still like to replace the quick connect, unless there is more to it than I am thinking.

I did a few searches last night, and I caught on that quite a few people have replaced these switches, after trying to troubleshoot other things, and the switch was ultimately the problem. Hoping this solves our problems, so we are not at the mercy of the boat any longer.
    2003 Moomba Outback LSV

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....567#post246567

This is a link that I had going and ended up being the switch. Toward to end will show you the wires you need to jump if you want to just try and bypass the switch. I also ordered one from ATL Marine and they have to get it from Skiers. Ordered and had it in a few days so their pretty quick with the turn around.
    2008 LSV on the way out
    '17 CRAZ!!! on the way in

Dielectric grease helps keep moisture out of electrical connections. Just squeeze a little in the plug on the leads before you connect the two plugs together. Also make sure the half of the connector attached to your boat that you will be plugging in the new ignition switch connector doesn't have any corrosion. The leads shouldn't be green and crusty. If so, scrape them clean with small screw driver or file or something.
    You can get a small tube of dielectric grease at any auto parts store.

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...n_jtt_redirect
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles
    3 vent heater (which my family loves)

My Moomba is beginning to have the same issue. Glad I saw this! By chance, would you mind sharing how much the switch was?

Thanks!
    Stephen
    2009 Mobius LSV
    Black and Yellow

They told me $30. I'm sure they will charge me shipping if it is mailed or shipped. I live and work fairly close to Atlanta Marine, though, and may just go pick it up. I may do that just to talk with a mechanic, while I'm there. I'm new to this stuff, but can no longer afford the cost or wait of having a marina try to fix it. If you look through some old threads, you'll find that some people have replaced there old ignition switch with something other than one by Skier's Choice. I just wanted to make sure I had the same one going in that was coming out, mainly for simplicity and fit. If this doesn't work, I'll probably move to the quick connect (if I don't do both at the same time). After that, I'm going to start looking at the breaker in the engine compartment (I've looked, but haven't even seen this button, yet).
    2003 Moomba Outback LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Rakkasan View Post
    https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....567#post246567

This is a link that I had going and ended up being the switch. Toward to end will show you the wires you need to jump if you want to just try and bypass the switch. I also ordered one from ATL Marine and they have to get it from Skiers. Ordered and had it in a few days so their pretty quick with the turn around.
    Funny, glad the hotwire instructions have been able to help so many. I documented the wiring while putting in a push button start (not as cool as my buddy's push button start and stop, but still works well for me). Here is a diagram that may help.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....959#post224959
    06 Mobius LSV, GIII (now with 1100 in the port locker), perfect pass, wakeplate
    Kicker KM10 Sub, dual batteries