Default 08 outback fuel tank

I have a 2008 outback and I cant get more than 20 gallons of fuel in tank.The owners manual states it has a 28 gallon tank.I have ran out of gas and could only get 20 gallons in before it overflowed.And other times when tank is on E it only held 18-20 gallons. Any info?

Default 08 outback fuel tank

Seems very similar in my outback as well. Interested to hear the answers or ideas.

Are you sure there is not 8 or so gallons in the tank already? I know you said you ran out of gas but that does not mean there was not 8 still in there and its an issue with the cracked or miss-angled pickup tube. If its out of whack you can run out as its not pulling the gas from the bottom of the tank area.

We had a similar issue on my buddies non-Moomba boat and it turned out being an issue where the gauge probe and pickup tube got out of whack. We would put in 40 gallons show full and then have issues in about 40 gallons worth of running. We calculated based on the average per hour consumption that we had run thru about 40 gallons as well even though full was about 60 gallons.

Not sure if its possible on the outback to see i there is anything left in there after you run out. Are you running out while on plane or sitting idle? That can effect pickup thru the tube if its out of whack as well

Also not sure about the amount of work it is to get in there and check out the pickup tube etc.. Maybe another use for a gopro camera if you can drop it in.....

It could always be a misprint as well and its is only 20 gallons, maybe take a pole of Outback owners and see what they come back with.

Both the promotional materials and the owners manual state 28 gallons. I think that's right. The pickup is likely the issue. It's also possible someone removed/replaced the tank if you are not the original owner.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!