Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moomba XLV Folding Swim Platform

I just got a 2004 Moomba XLV and am wanting to install folding swim platform brackets or possibly make a HDPE surf platform. I have contacted OJ Props and they don't make folding brackets any longer. The private lake I am on has a 24' max INCLUDING the swim platform, even if it is removable like on a Moomba. If it is folding, I think I can convince them that it acts as a ladder, be under 24'. I want it to be folded up when surfing. Has anyone heard of such a bracket or should I start trying to build one? Thanks everyone!

That is got to be one of the worst rules ever to include the platform!! Good luck with the build. I would mount some locking hinges to the platform. Once you get some brackets made post some pics.

something like this...could be some else better but just brain storming

Was going to tell you to look at OJ but sounds like you have ...... also think it folded down which would be unusable while under way and think their product was typically for storage purposes? Not sure how a folded "up" type platform would work. Interesting to say the least. Probably better off building your own. And agree with BUER - who makes up these ridiculous rules?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

My thought would be to keep the factory brackets stationary and add a hinge mounted between he platform and the top of the bracket. Could be held in place with a pin somewhere.

This may shave off enough of the platform length to get you within the 24' limit when the platform is hinged up.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Just put a lot of ballast in the rear so that the platform is well below the top of the water. No more platform, problem solved.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Thanks everyone! Personally, I think the rule was put in place to make 21' be the largest wakeboarding boat allowed while letting up to 24' I/O's use the lake. It's 1,400 acre man-made lake but wakesurfing is just catching on in Iowa and has some of the lake front property owners worked up. I'm just trying to get my setup on the lake within the rules so I can can be grandfathered into any future rules.

So, back the to the project at hand, I like the idea of adding a hinge between the bracket and platform. buer, where did you find the locking hinge? I am finding a lot of folding table hinges, nothing heavy duty enough. I think I'll start with a piece of HDPE like trayson did and start mocking up hinges and configurations. Thanks again everyone!

Glad to have another Iowa guy on the forum. You on Panorama? Is your boat yellow by chance?

i just googled locking hinges. I think those in the pic were for a table but i was just trying to give a visual. If you can find some heavy duty ones and mount them between the deck and factory mounts I think it would work. Only thing you might have to do is slide the deck back about a 1/2"-1" to clear the back of the boat when the deck is locked up.

Sounds great, I was thinking about the deck clearance as well during the holding process. Hopefully I can mach everything up before bolting/welding. Thanks again everyone, if I get into this, I will be sure to post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    Just put a lot of ballast in the rear so that the platform is well below the top of the water. No more platform, problem solved.
    Best answer so far. Make it black if needed!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...