Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New board help

Default New board help

I'm a beginner/intermediate boarder and have been learning lot's reading various threads. As I try and hone in my skills, I'm wondering if a board upgrade would help me out. Currently, I have a Hyperlite Motive 140 with frequency bindings. Entry level, big box store, board...I know. My intentions were to learn on it and be able to use it for a good "boat" board.

So, would a better board help my progression? I'm currently trying to become proficient and consistent with progressive edging, line tension, body/arm position when heading towards the wake. Two outta three seems to be the norm, but I'm getting better. I'd like something with pop and forgivable. I'm wanting to clear w2w and add some grabs for now.

I've been looking around and now seems like a good time to grab a good deal on the already "last years" models. I'm 6'02" and 185lbs. Unfortunately, there's nothing close where I could demo boards.

I've been reading a little on the Ronix line and the district caught my attention. I'm open for any and all suggestions. Thoughts?

Thanks, Steve

http://www.evo.com/outlet/mashups/ro...ings-2013.aspx
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles
    3 vent heater (which my family loves)

Default New board help

I have an obrien player, hyperlite parks and byerly monarch. All ride way different. The parks is extremely aggressive. The obrien is responsive but has a continuous rocker that is more forgiving and the byerly is really responsive as well and light. The newer boards are all pretty light and responsive. You need to figure out what rocker type you want to ride. The fins make a huge difference as well. The smaller molded in fins are a lot more forgiving, especially if you take the removeable one out.

You asked if a different board would help your progression, and I would say no, not really. You should have no issues with the Motive and what you are looking to do and a whole lot more. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a new board.

I think the biggest thing is finding the board that fits your riding style. That's hard to do without a demo, but I bet we can help. Do you like a board that transitions edge to edge quickly and rides fast through the water? Or do you want a more mellow ride and abrupt punch at the wake? Ever want to ride it at the cable park? Do you snowboard, and would you like a similar riding experience?

Default New board help

IMO a new board is not going to help you progress faster at this stage of your riding. If anything it could make it much more difficult to progress if you get a board that is too advanced for your riding right now. Example: the RONIX camber boards would hinder you because they are shaped for a much different rider than your ability at this point.

If you want a new board by all means get one but make sure to get a beginner board which will likely be a continuous rocker, may have slightly larger fin on the toe side edge, very simple shape to the base maybe a single spine to help soften landings a little, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

Dan and Todd, you guys both brought up some great points and questions I hadn't thought of...

-I am a snowboarder, albeit I don't board much anymore based on my location, family, work,etc. However, when snow boarding I always enjoyed the nice "blue" cruiser runs, powder runs, and I'd look for mild jumps within the run. I didn't to parks or pipes.
    -I have no plans to ride a cable park or course
    -I like a good, predictable transition and edge if that makes sense.
    -As far as speed through the water, I have nothing to compare to. It seems I generate more speed from edging
    -I'd like to have some good pop (probably need to improve my technique more than the board) but I also like a more forgiving and less abrupt landing.
    -Other than the Motive, I've only ridden one other wakeboard about 11 years ago. I rode it 3 or 4 times and have no idea what it was. Basically I learned how to get up and ride a little.

Now, I went out last week and got some video that I'm hoping you guys could critique and offer pointers. As far as the set up: I'm 6'02" 185 lbs, hyperlite motive 140. I'm using a proline LG at 65'. I've had the perfect pass set at 18.5 mph. Currently I haven't added ANY ballast to the boat (I have 1100#er's in the rear, ski locker sac, and IBS) but, again, I've been running with no ballast. I know I have a small wake, but my thought process was to concentrate more on form and technique and remove the big wake element. Not sure if that's a good idea or not...
    Also, that day was the first time I've ever tried riding switch and I'm trying to force myself to practice. So, I started switch, attempted a few awkward carves within the wake, before switching back to regular to try jumping. Later in the video I tried switch again. (feels like learning all over)
    Again, I'm trying to accomplish a nice lofty w2w, land confidently, and hopefully add a grab at some point.

Thanks again, Steve

http://youtu.be/vtlZROCJoeo
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles

I'm sure the video will help but it says it's private.

Edit: initial thoughts after reading your post... 18.5 seems way too slow if you're working on w2w (assuming you've GPS calibrated your speedo?) Bump up a few mph and see what you think.

If you were/are a snowboard you have to find a way to try a flex board like Slingshot. They are the only way to go for me and my riding style, but others like different styles.

Also KEEP RIDING SWITCH! I know it sucks now but it will help you so much more in the future.
    Last edited by brain_rinse; 07-22-2014 at 07:26 PM.

I guess I forgot to "publish" the youtube video. It should work now, if not, please let me know.

Also, what exactly is a 'flex' board? I've heard of continuous and 3 stage rocker, but exactly how does a flex board perform?

Thanks,
    Steve
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100#er's in the lockers
    ski locker sac
    IBS
    Johnson reversibles

Biggest thing I see is in the video is the handle. Pull that handle lower, arms out, down at your lead hip. A couple of times you even pulled the handle up above your head which is going to backfire in a bad way. So focus on fixing that first. You need good handle control to get the line tension you need for W2W.

Other thing is that you are setting your edge too early, relying on side-to-side speed to get air. You need the harder edge and line tension as you are standing tall at the wake. More progressive edge.

I like the flex boards for a ton of reasons, but one big benefit is that it forces good fundamentals. Without a bunch of molded fins and rails, you have to set a good edge to get speed. It's also a ton of fun and more like snowboarding, with a bonus of forgiving landings. This is a great board at a crazy low price:
    http://www.evo.com/wakeboards/slings...d-2014-137.jpg

Default New board help

I agree with the speed comment. I would prob bump up to 19.5 or 20. You seem to be dragging a little in the water.

Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Default New board help

Just a few comments...

I agree with your idea of going with minimal weight in the boat.

I agree with the speed comment. I would prob bump up to 19.5 or 20 to get the board higher on the water. You seem to be dragging a little in the water.

Is the width of the bindings comfortable? Looks like you would benefit from a wider base/stance....

Slow your motions down. You look very rushed when edging in and out. Make wide sweeping turns behind the boat rather than turning so abruptly. When edging out you should get to a point of coasting while the boat takes the slack back out of the rope. Then make a smooth turn back in and slowly build the edge up the wake. When you turn sharp you build edge and speed very quickly then get scared because you are going too fast at the wake you let off the edge and decelerate at the wake and that does not work well.

Now to the flex board. The slingshot boards are wood rather than a composite material and flex much more the regular boards. Most if not all board companies now have flex boards in their line which are hybrid boards (composite boards with wood stringers to add flex). While the flex boards are fun to ride and do provide a different experience I would recommend you demo one before you go buy one. They are not for everyone.

Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450