Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default No more wet lockers.

Finally got sick and tired of pulling my bags and the mats I installed in lieu of floor carpeting each time to dry the lockers. The friggin thing stills stunk like that center locker nastymat that we all threw away. So, I took some advice from here and used Herculiner. Except I pulled all the carpet from the rear lockers. Gone. NO more wet carpet back there. First coat is currently drying.

The worst part was the prep. I have 11 solid hours in prep just getting rid of the carpet glue SC used. Whatever it is, I want some, because it doesn't want to come off. I scraped and rubbed, and used a ton of Goo Gone. I wanted to step up to something a bit more hardcore to remove it, but solvent I looked at said don't use it on fiberglass. So I used elbow grease instead. It sucked, but it's almost done, and water will just run to bilge now instead of piling up in the corners of the locker.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    2007 LSV

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

That last one is for giggles. I couldn't take my boat out today, so I made my buddy haul me around behind is '14 Nautique G21.
    2007 LSV

Oh and the worst part was this install kept me from putting in all the sweet blue LED's I got from Oznium.
    2007 LSV

I live in Dora Al. Smith lake is my home lake

Default No more wet lockers.

Nice job

2013 Moomba LSV
    2013 LSV
    2006 outback DD sold
    2004 Stingray 180LX sold

David

so what if you were to just put the herculiner down over the glue???
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

In hindsight, I probably would have. At least on the sides. The bottom glue came up really easily. The glue on the sides probably would have been fine to cover, as it was pretty hard. I don't think it would have been absorbent, or messed up the herculiner in any way, but once I had some solvent on the side walls that glue turned to mushy, jelly, goop that took forever to clean off. Basically I was committed at that point.
    2007 LSV

Nice. That next on my list of things to do. So do you think it would have been ok to cover the glue and it come out smooth?
    2008 LSV on the way out
    '17 CRAZ!!! on the way in

I think the glue would be OK to cover. Smooth, I'm not so sure. The herculiner is thick, but not so much it will hide everything. However, no one is gonna be running inspections back there so, it's how much you care about aesthetics. Maybe someone with more knowledge of chemicals/paint can comment on the herc over glue?
    2007 LSV

Good job. Looks awesome. Could never get 11 hours away from the wife and kids to do this though. But I'd love to. Its always soaked back there.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    Stereo: Kenwood KMR-D562BT
    Ballast: 750 Surfside locker, 400 Surfside mid boat, 400 Gravity I, 400 Bow
    Surfboards: Inland Surfer Red Woody, Triple X Composite X 58"[/SIZE]

I had a minor problem with enamel paint over the glue. I removed the rear covers at the back of the ski lockers and painted the bare fiberglass black. At the carpet edge, where there was exposed glue, the paint took a couple weeks to dry.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon