Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Replying to Topic 'Where do you buy your oil?'

Is anyone using synthetic? I was thinking about using Mobil 1.

Good question. My local marina keeps telling me to use syn oil because of the wear and tear waterspots have on the engine. I think it's because they hae a higher profit margin. Would love to hear from a profesional.

Is it true that once you go to synthetic you cant go back to conventional oil? Im very interested in any feedback anybody has on this subject, not only for my boat engine but the engine in the truck that tows the boat. I remember the days of spending $50 on a quart of Slick 50 and I think it was only synthetic oil.
    Jim Hagen
    Madison, Wisconsin
    facebook.com/signedgewraps

2011 Moomba Mobius LSV - Exiled
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold

Didn't Slick 50 have a lot of teflon in it?

We discussed the oil question here a while back and determined from Indmar that Penzoil 15W40 Longlife was perfectly acceptable for those of us who cannot find the version marked Marine.

In my vehicles (not yet in me boat), it was perfectly acceptable to even mix syn and reg oil together. A A M O F, when I'd do an oil change, I'd often put 3 qts reg and 2 qts full syn so I would get the benefit of syn w/o the full cost of all syn. I bought a '99 Ranger new and put 100k miles which included pulling me old run-a-bout up and down the hwy. After 100,000 miles, I put a set of valve cover gaskets on and was amazed how clean the insides of the covers were and how little wear appeared on the valve train.
    IMHO, you can switch between syn and reg readily with no adverse affects. The labels on the bottles even say 'compatible'. The only precaution I would give is do not mix brands......i.e........If you use Castrol reg, mix with Castrol syn.
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!