Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Finally got the FAE installed

I finally got the FAE installed on the OBV and I can tell you that is everything that they claim and then some. I was really surprised how quiet it makes the engine.......I read someone that said they could hear the water hitting the hull and I chuckled thinking "no way", but its very true!! The kids even said they could now hear my two small XM7s when they were tubing at 65'!!

We never had much issue with the CO before and maybe its a bit of my imagination, but the air does seems "cleaner" around the back of the boat when surfing. And not only does it provide those key functions, it looks pretty cool too........check out the pics.

photo 3.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2a.jpg
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Beautiful! I'm starting to look at it again for all the reasons you just mentioned... Just when I think I'm done, the list grows.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I love hearing the water splash off the hull.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I love hearing the water splash off the hull.

I'm becoming a very big fan of that as well!!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Default Finally got the FAE installed

Looks good! Would love to hear some before and after videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 Outback

Sorry, I didn't really document the effort because I had a host of eager folks waiting to hit the water and was under a bit of a time crunch.

But I will share one thought.....I fancy myself an above-average DIYer, but if you don't have access to a fairly well stocked shop with a drill press and/or a vice (which I have neither at my place on the lake), plan for several hrs to do the install and make sure you have at least one helper just to hold the pieces being cut or drilled. I happened to have a friend there with me or I can't imagine how I would have completed the job or what it might have looked like if I had to do it myself.

But the final product is the real deal and I would go through it all again!! One of the best mods that I have made for sure.

NOTE: Oh, and by way, a simple hack saw won't cut it (not a pun, take that literally!!!).........I used my Dremel and went through about 4-5 of those cutting blades (I don't think I have even used 2-3 the whole time I have had the tool up til now) cutting the stainless bar, bolts, etc. and I can't even imagine trying to do that by hand!!!!!
    Last edited by mikenehrkorn; 07-14-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

I have to do this mod!!! Anyone put it on a mondo yet??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    2014 Mondo with da flow!!! Exile towers, stock everything else.... for now!

After this last weekend of sitting on the sun deck coaching my kids I realize I may need one.
    Last edited by chawk610; 07-14-2014 at 06:05 PM.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

Quote Originally Posted by saskyrider View Post
    I have to do this mod!!! Anyone put it on a mondo yet??
    Other than the issue with the new platform brackets that Mike mentioned in one of his posts, I'm not sure that's there really much difference in the installs between the different boats.

And I must say, the instructions are very detailed with clear, color pictures that you can actually see!!
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Other than the issue with the new platform brackets that Mike mentioned in one of his posts, I'm not sure that's there really much difference in the installs between the different boats.

And I must say, the instructions are very detailed with clear, color pictures that you can actually see!!
    Having installed 3 of them now, it gets to a routine, I don't even use instructions now lol.

The difference between 13 brackets and 14 isn't that hard once its in front of you.

I will second the fact its a very hard install with a Hack Saw.

I have done mine by myself but I use a saw zaw with a metal blade. On the square tubeing and use table clamps to hold it in place.

The round shafts that you have to cut and drill, are the hardest. I have a table that can hold them in place while I cut them but its still pretty hard. To drill them I found starting with a small drill bit and stepping it up is the easiest.

SS is very hard on cutting tools though.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]