Thread: equalizer issue

Default equalizer issue

I was hoping for some advice here. While boating this weekend I blew a fuse in the equalizer which I thought was strange since it is almost new and only been used a couple times. (Wetsounds 420). We discovered it was a fuse in the equalizer after searching. It was the strangest thing. I shut the lid on one of the underseat lockers we keep lifejackets in and the stereo quit when I shut it. There are no wires close so that could have been a complete coincidence. Anyway, we replaced the fuse but the system still wouldn't work. And oddly enough, the lights on the equalizer changed from blue to red for no apparent reason. I ended up bypassing the equalizer so we could have music but it is a bummer that we can't use the equalizer now. Is there something obvious I should check or do you think the equalizer is toast?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    BlueSky
    2004 Mobius LS Direct Drive

Call toll free 1-877-WET-SPKR (938-7757)
    Or email to [email protected].

That's where I would start.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I was hoping for some advice here. While boating this weekend I blew a fuse in the equalizer which I thought was strange since it is almost new and only been used a couple times. (Wetsounds 420). We discovered it was a fuse in the equalizer after searching. It was the strangest thing. I shut the lid on one of the underseat lockers we keep lifejackets in and the stereo quit when I shut it. There are no wires close so that could have been a complete coincidence. Anyway, we replaced the fuse but the system still wouldn't work. And oddly enough, the lights on the equalizer changed from blue to red for no apparent reason. I ended up bypassing the equalizer so we could have music but it is a bummer that we can't use the equalizer now. Is there something obvious I should check or do you think the equalizer is toast?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    BlueSky
    While you were inside the chassis changing the fuse you may have accidentally removed the tiny circuit board jumper that turned the factory set 'blue' illumination to 'red'.
    You need three wire connections for the EQ to power up: B+, ground and 12V trigger. You need to confirm that all of these are receiving the intended supply and that the voltage level is adequate. To do thorough diagnosis on your own you really need a multimeter. The same issue that tripped the fuse could still be unresolved, keeping the EQ from powering up and even blowing the fuse again.
    Internal water damage is a common cause of a fuse blowing.
    An intermittent RCA connection can cause some wicked voltage transients, enough to do damage to a head unit or EQ while the system is powered up.
    If you have issues that are vibration and shock induced then the installation may need some serious attention. If the EQ is toast, I would want to resolve any potential external cause before inserting a replacement EQ.
    Beyond that I would enlist the services of your marine electronics dealer or Wetsounds.

thanks for the input. the fuse I am talking about was an inline fuse on the power wire. I never went inside the chassis. I guess it could be water but not sure how because I have only been out boating with it two or three times and always in good weather and the boat is kept in a garage when not on the water. I did get in touch with Wetsounds and am going to have to send it in to them but was hoping there might be something obvious I overlooked or someone had the same issue and discovered a simple fix.
    2004 Mobius LS Direct Drive

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    thanks for the input. the fuse I am talking about was an inline fuse on the power wire. I never went inside the chassis. I guess it could be water but not sure how because I have only been out boating with it two or three times and always in good weather and the boat is kept in a garage when not on the water. I did get in touch with Wetsounds and am going to have to send it in to them but was hoping there might be something obvious I overlooked or someone had the same issue and discovered a simple fix.
    I don't necessarily suspect water. Just being as thorough as possible. The fuse blew for a reason and that protects you from something more catastrophic. You're in good hands with Wetsounds.