Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My simple boat cover solution

So the downside to living in Florida, is the sun beats up everything. I do not have room in my garage for the now 1 month old 06' OB LSV. The really cool new Moomba Cover i got with it is amazing, but was not weathering well. - gets VERY dirty easily and is not sheeting off the rain (it comes in buckets here). So I got one of these:
    Harbor Master Silver Boat Covers - Yes, that is from Wally World! I figured, for $49, I had nothing to lose. It fits PERFECTLY !!! It is water proof, MUCH more heat resistant (reflective) and for 4 more minutes of work... well, I have a custom $500 cover to protect the boat, and a $50 cover to protect the $500 cover ! So far it has withstood an ugly thunderstorm, and some REALLY hot weeks of "spring". I am VERY happy, and can reccomend this oddball, but really good solution to anyone forced to store outdoors.

-Joe

Default Replying to Topic 'My simple boat cover solution'

I can attest to that . I had one on my crownline. Worked great.

I've been using one of those for years. Put the factory cover on, then throw the silver one on. The factory one stays clean and like you said, for $49 (about 25 a year cos they only last about 2 yrs) you get an extra measure of protection
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

That is a kick @ss idea, Ive been frustrated because I park the boat under a 45ft maple tree in the driveway.. sap on the cover... for 50$ its like disposable protection!!

Thanks for the tips Joe

J
    2005 Moomba Outback

Why would yo need the factory cover at all if you are using this?

Do these things breathe at all. Intuition suggests that they probably do not breathe so might be worth investing in a couple of aftermarket vents.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

What do you do about your tower how do you get the cover around your tower poles?

Buttafewcoe - Damn, thought I had an original one - good to know I'm not alone in the thinking.

Ed - It comes with a good amount of soft strong cord, and about 6 plastic D Rings per side. Cut to your desired length, - they give lots of extra. Also 2 bungies w/ large snap hooks at each end. One is PERFECT for the back, the last 2 plastic D Rings get clipped to the boat eye's and the bungee stretches just the right amount to snug the back end together. Note- this is the new 21.6' hull - your milage may vary, and there is a smaller version.

Dave - it is very flimsy, and not very good protection for the whole boat. The custom cover is VERY nice and worth the $ IMHO. But it is not Sunbrella, and does not keep out rain well, and gets dirty easily, so this little $50 add-on does all those for it. I will look into the vent idea - good thinking.

BigRed - I do not have a tower, nor does Ed. I'm sure with some simple work arounds you can get it close enough that it does not matter - it is just a cover cover

-J

I just picked up my '06 Modius LSV this weekend. The boat spent one night in the dealers lot with the canvas cover on and of course it would come a monsoon (slight exaggeration) that very night. The morning I picked the boat up, it was full of water on the inside and all Upholstery was very wet. Anyway, my point is I've got a tower and I think I'm gonna pick up one of these cheap covers because unfortunately my boat will be stored outside quite often. I'm thinking I can probably cut some slits in the cheap cover and get some adhesive velcro to make the cheap cover work similar to the nice cover. I'll update if I have any luck.

Do not know alot about the boat my brother just bought for my familys lake house.seen in the dealer but need to know what model cover you use (we have a 05 Outback LSV)Looking forward to using as much as possable and want it to be clean and dry at every use

Thanks for your help

Waldo,

The boat may have been purchased with a cover - there are two types that are avalaible from the factory / dealer. Both a snap-on cover or a tie-down one. Both are excellent fit, but do not keep out the heavy rains. For that, see my first post above, it has the exact model I got. You will need to modify the cheap cover - it is not designed for a tower.

Welcome to the Moomba Family.

-Joe