Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 02 Outback DD listing to starboard, with pics.

Good day,
    This is my first post, I have read everything concerning this problem and more on the forum. I am hoping that you can help with some advice, or if nothing else confirming that I'm not way out to lunch.
    I bought this outback a year and a half ago. It has always listed to starboard from about 25 MPH up. It sits level and rides level up to 25 MPH. I aligned the engine last year to a .0005 runout at the transmission, (I have been a jet engine tech in the Canadian Forces for 25 years), this puts my engine quite high up and to the starboard so far the exhaust rubs on the engine cover.
    I have ordered a new strut as mine is bent, I hope this fixes my alignment issue. I have also sent my rudder away to be straightened as it seems to be bent, hooked to the port side, (this boat has hit something in the past). There is a fibreglass repair that needs to be done where the strut mounts.
    While I have it apart, and with a clear sight line to the tracking fins, I noticed that they both seem to be pointing to the port side. This leads me to believe that they would push the bottom of the boat to port, possibly causing it to list to starboard.
    I removed the tracking fins to find that they are straight… however…. the mounting holes in the fins are not square at all.
    So my questions are,
    1. Are they supposed to be drilled and mounted facing slightly to port, or is this a possible manufacturing issue?
    2. Can I have them welded in and re-drilled?
    3. Can I elongate the holes in the hull to accommodate the poorly aligned holes in the fins?
    4. Are the strut and rudder mounting points supposed to be this far offset?
    Any advice would be helpful, or pics of your 98 to 02 Outback Direct drive.

Default Photos from above post

IMG_1065.jpg

View from under the boat, you can see that the holes are drilled squarely, but the fin is way off.

IMG_1073.jpg

Holes offset in fin

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

Rudder attachment aligned to the left of the strut, is this correct?

IMG_1070.jpg

Last year was countless hours of wet sanding and brand new decals
    Last edited by Crittr; 04-13-2014 at 11:49 AM.

I thought they used to offset the shaft from the rudder to allow easier shaft removal. I also thought it was to offset the rotation direction of the prop. Not positive on any of this though. I cannot imagine a reason the center tracking fins would not be dead on though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thank you for replying, I spoke with my local dealer and they say the alignment of the mounting locations for rudder and strut are normal. I'm sure the new strut will help with engine alignment. The tracking fins are confusing though, I believe they were like that from factory.

Rudder is meant to be offset. If you have a bent tracking fin, there is a good chance it's causing your issue.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Yes, I've learned that it is supposed to be offset, it was however quite bent towards the port side with a significant bend halfway down to the left as well.
    The tracking fins are not bent, it's just that the mounting holes are drilled in such a way that it points the fins off to the port. I took one of them to the local dealer and the mechanic said that it won't cause the problem of listing at speed, but the bent rudder would. I'm not sure if I believe this completely.
    Like you guys are saying, I think that having them pointing off centre certainly doesn't help the issue.
    I'll see about getting the mounting holes filled in and re-drilled, instead of putting it all back together and finding out the rudder fix doesn't fix the problem.
    Thanks for responding

Thanks for Responding guys,
    I received a PM from John Buescher, Customer service at Skier's Choice. He indicated that the alignment of the engine due to the strut and the bent rudder are most likely the cause of the problem of listing at speed.
    The Tracking fins are fine up to .125" (1/8th") from dead straight. Above that they can cause the boat to pitch fore or aft.
    He said I can elongate the tracking fin holes to put them within that .125" limit.
    Very impressed with Skier's Choice, and the Moomba brand. I guess I'm loyal now, when it's time to upgrade, I'm not looking at anything else.

Ok, so I put it all back together and finally got it on the water. I had my rudder pressed straight, new strut, shaft is straight and true. I put the tracking fins back on they are very straight. I aligned the engine, it is much more to the left than it was, and a bit lower. Took it out on the water and guess what...... it lists to the starboard,,,son of a b____.
    I'm out of ideas. The boat does not lean at all when still, or under 20MPH. It has a pretty major lean when above 20MPH, but it comes a bit more level (not all the way), when between 40 and 45 MPH. It performs the same with or without the tower on.
    Anyone have other ideas?? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, should the prop be to the left or right of the rudder?

Does it list when it is at rest? Adjust the items in the boat to make it level at rest. While at speed there should be no discernable list except for the placement of items from the static condition (i.e. placement of people). The only thing that would change that is the front fins and rudder creating a lifting affect. That would occur if they were not vertical. I take it that the front fins were verified with a laser sighting?
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD