Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble Starting Up

So, we had a major problem trying to get the boat started on Friday. I tried to start it two or three times, and the engine just wouldn't turn over. After that, it wouldn't do anything. When I turned the ignition, everything was completely silent. There was no indication that anything was going to happen. I read some things on here, as well as around the rest of the internet. Some things I did were: make sure the bilge was completely empty, opened the engine compartment up, and ran the blower. I looked in the manual about flooding the engine, and it said to disengage the transmission and move to full throttle. I did that and it started right up. It happened again twice yesterday, and going up to full throttle with the transmission disengaged did not work. We did eventually get it started, after doing the list of things mentioned above, and just giving it some time between attempts. We have never had an issue starting the engine, while putting the boat in the water or immediately after it has been turned off. This only occurs when we are in the water, and have been sitting for maybe 15 minutes or more. Before Friday, it would seem like it was maybe struggling to start in these instances, but we've moved into a new realm of this being a problem. Unless anyone can think of an explanation, we are going to have to haul it in to the service department. Our Nav lights recently went out, as well, so not sure if this could maybe be an electrical issue...

What year & model? Depending on the age, I'm going to guess vapor lock.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

If that is the case, what is the easiest way to prevent it? We had been putting 87 octane gasoline in the boat, but I recently read that we should use at least 89. We just started doing that. All of that gas has 10% ethanol, of course. Should we start using Sta-Bil? Would that help?

Again, what year and model? Both your signature & profile are blank.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

2003 Outback LSV

carbed engine I presume Dr Watson?

Throttle-body Fuel Injection

really?

Cool. probably is just the vapor lock issue.

My 2003 had a carb

Do a search for Vapor Lock here, a lot of info on ways to get around it and things to look for
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Default Vapor Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    Do a search for Vapor Lock here, a lot of info on ways to get around it and things to look for
    Summation, after reading hundreds of these posts.
    It's a design issue apparently never to be addressed.
    Fix. The dealer will add an extra fuel pump, that may or may not fix it, for $500.
    The good news is it only effects boats used in warm weather, so those of you winter water enthusiast will have no problem!

Ways to live with it!
    1. Run the blower when you stop. Or lift the cover.
    2. Pour a cup of cold water from the cooler over the fuel pump, and you should be on your way!
    Peace
    Darren
    FamilyMatters

2009 Outback