Thread: Docking lights

Default Docking lights

Been searching on here for some answers to a couple of questions.

I want to install docking lights on my tower. Plan on using a "driving light" style 12v automotive light, either halogen or led. I like the automotive kits because they are relatively inexpensive, and their use will be infrequent so they should last awhile.

If I install these, I plan on using one of the two unused accessory switches on the dash. Do I need to install a relay in the circuit? and if so, why? Does the relay keep the current from the light from running through the switch on the dash itself? Most of these kits come with their own switch, and no relay supplied, just an in line fuse. Do I need to install the in line fuse, since the switch is already CB protected?

Thanks.
    2007 LSV

did that style light on my 08, no relay, worked fine, no issues
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Awesome. I scooped the lights yesterday. Probably just wire em up and see what happens lol. If they don't come with the relay, I'm guessing the factory switch can handle the load. It looks far more robust than the switch supplied.

Did you have trouble with mounting hight? I already have two holes drilled from the previous owner in the cross bar between the two oval portions on top. I plan on using that to mount, but didn't know if the light would clear the tower or not.
    2007 LSV

I used a speaker mount and had them mounted just below the pivot point on the tower, running the wires was a little bit of a pain but not to bad, there are pictures somewhere on this forum, I just don't know where
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

oh, only really good for when docking, out in the middle of the lake I would turn them off, to much glare
    Hey, Its Moomba time

13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold

"only really good for when docking"

They are terrific to have when you are out on the lake during a brief thunderstorm and you want others to see you.

I had one guy come over to me and say "that's really cool - I never saw a boat with headlights before".

Default Docking lights

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    oh, only really good for when docking, out in the middle of the lake I would turn them off, to much glare
    I left my driving lights on by accident last summer in the evening and it was a quick invitation for the the lake patrol to visit our boat
    Got warned for expired flares

Remember to turn them off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Ya I figured they'd draw attention. My friend has a '14 G21 and was pulled over after fireworks on the 4th for "too much white light". He had his headlight/docking lights on as well as the speaker led's.
    2007 LSV