Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP Transmission...

So I get back from the Texas Jam, boat went straight to the stall. I pull it out today after work, we all load up, back the boat in the water, I put it in reverse... NOTHING. Going Nowhere!

I'm freaking out. Prop is good. Check levels. Really low tranny fluid. Run to the gas station close by and buy the only thing they have, plain ole Pennzoil ATF fluid. Fill up. Doesn't work. Upon further inspection, find three bolts and three nuts in the hull and realized the shaft had separated after the bolts fell out... Put those three bolts back in, tightened em down, and on our way we went. Mainly tied up today but tomorrow we will be doing more driving/surfing...

So two questions..
    Do I need to drain that plain tranny oil out and get the dextron III stuff, immediately??? (Id like to spend tomorrow on the water if I can and replace the fluid on Sunday...)

Also, are those three bolts all I need or am I missing more?

Thanks,
    Taylor
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

3 bolts fell out? I could see 1, but 3? Somebody will chime in that knows more than me, but I would drain and put the dextron III stuff in.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    3 bolts fell out? I could see 1, but 3?
    My thoughts exactly!!! Shaft was still connected when I trailered it at Bethy before leaving. May have just got lucky and only had 1 bolt left in, then on the 7hr haul back it came completely out allowing the shaft to slip out of the coupler... The shaft had slide all the way back that the prop was resting on the rudder.

I have an old school metal reversible oil pump, just don't know how long it will take to pump that generic tranny oil out through the dipstick.
    2008 LSV Blue on White

It doesn't take too long, I drain mine every off season
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

You should check your coupler bolts at least annually when you check your alignment. They can vibrate loose even though they have nylock nuts on them (beyotch to tighten cuz you have to hold a wrench on each end and a ratchet really won't fit in there).

Get that tranny fluid out. It only holds about a quart or so-- so you can suction it out in under 10 min.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    You should check your coupler bolts at least annually when you check your alignment. They can vibrate loose even though they have nylock nuts on them (beyotch to tighten cuz you have to hold a wrench on each end and a ratchet really won't fit in there).

Get that tranny fluid out. It only holds about a quart or so-- so you can suction it out in under 10 min.
    Yeaaaaaa major PITA. Found out the hard way. Vice grips and a slow painful 1/4 turn at a time with a socket and finally got them back tight after 45 mins.

Found some dextron III at NAPA bout an hour ago and they told me I needed to go ahead and take that generic tranny oil out.

If I pump it as close to empty as possible, is it safe to say I can dump the whole quart of Dextron III in there or is that too much?
    2008 LSV Blue on White

I'm going off this thread, but it's 2 years old...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=17933
    2008 LSV Blue on White

THREAD REVIVAL!!!!

I'm reviving this old thread of mine because I think when the bolts fell out of the coupler and the shaft slide back several inches it may have effected my seal....

Here's a quick snap shot of a video. You can see the steady stream coming out from the seal.
    From what I've been reading there's two different types of seals used on our boats. This is a 2008 LSV. Is this the seal I take off and wrap graphite cord around the shaft or is this the seal that only requires tightening of a nut...

Any help would be appreciated in which way to fix this!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430246997.264393.jpg
    2008 LSV Blue on White

That's a dripless seal, so no cord. I have not heard of many repairs on those, but maybe you'll get lucky and not have to replace it.

If the bolts fell out then the alignment would have been off if you ran that prop , ... If the alignment is out it will definitely cause seal failure. You can buy the seals for this and make the repair. The other cause is the use of exhust mani water for cooling of the seals....this hot water overheats the housing causing expansion and leakage
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug