Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mondo Gas Gauge

Default Mondo Gas Gauge

So this has happened twice to me on the Mondo. We are out on river until the needle is on the E. The next day out I stop to fill the tank and the pump shuts off at 23 gallons. With a 39 gallon tank that was on empty the last time out this is odd right?

Boat gas gages are notoriously incorrect but short by 16 gallons seems weird to me.

My question is can these be calibrated? Or is this a bad gauge?

Thanks everyone and hope your 4th is awesome!
    2014 Moomba Mondo - Exile Tower/Sub/ZLD/EXBT4/Amps (2x), Hertz Cabin - Evolution Cover - 650 IBS, 900s Rear, Center Hard Tank, Flow
    1969 Bayliner Tahiti - 120 HP Force Outboard - Gone but not forgotten

I have noticed mine is off quite a bit also. When it is at a little above 1/4 tank I go to fill it up and it takes about 15 gallons.
    Mark
    2014 Mondo
    2013 Yamaha AR190 - Gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrd8ker View Post
    So this has happened twice to me on the Mondo. We are out on river until the needle is on the E. The next day out I stop to fill the tank and the pump shuts off at 23 gallons. With a 39 gallon tank that was on empty the last time out this is odd right?

Boat gas gages are notoriously incorrect but short by 16 gallons seems weird to me.

My question is can these be calibrated? Or is this a bad gauge?

Thanks everyone and hope your 4th is awesome!
    Mine does the exact same thing on my LSV. I had to cut towing some friends wake boarding short cause I didn't want to run out of gas heading back to dock, then expected a big gas bill at the pumps the next morning heading back out and only put around 23-25 gallons also. And it was dead on E when we loaded it up.
    Todd

2013 Mobius LSV
    2008 Stingray 205LR sold

Default Mondo Gas Gauge

I think no matter the type of boat the gauges always are off. I thought about finding a way to incorporate a flow meter like the Yamaha outboards. Then you know exactly and what you burn an hour average.

Tifton,GA Lake Blackshear, and Lake Cheehaw

All I say is the third time I took my 14 Lsv out we ran out of gas. The previous 2 times i took it out it only took about 20 gals to fill it up. So we it ran out we did nothing any different. Empty it took 37 gallons to fill it up. Now when it clicks off I top it off today it stopped at 18 gals and I put another 8 gals in it. My gauge is terribly in accurate just figure 5-6 gals an hour and you will be good. But now I carry 2 gals in a gas can under the seat. Some fisherman called fire/rescue on us when ran out of gas it was embarassing wont happen again.
    2015 Supra SG 450 Fire Red Metallic
    Wetsounds and MMATS
    2015 Mojo
    2014 LSV
    2006 Tahoe Q4sf

My new LSV is the same. Gauge shows empty but boat only takes like 30 gallons. Also, when I fill it up, I can get a few more gallons in after it clicks off, and the gauge usually only shows 3/4 of a tank.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

I think it's more of a float issue, both moombas to me have this saftey don't run out of gas feature, when on E you have plenty to get back to the dock. On the four winns we have when it was on E it was empty.

As previously stated just watch what your burn rate per hr and know your own boat to avoid that embarrassing tow.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Yesterday at LBC we showed Empty heading to the dock. Went to Julie's to fill up, it took 40 gallons on a 50 gallon tank.

I look at it as insurance.

You seriously don't want it to be empty when it says empty LOL.

I am pretty sure the reason it does this is because we have a big square gas tanks with no baffle in them to keep it from sloshing. I know my boat reads way different on Reg and goofy when surfing. It also goes up when wake boarding.

Traditional fuel gauges in your car have a small area it reads the level from, so speeding up, corners don't effect it as much. in the boat it doesn't have this feature. I think when the fuel gets low, less then 10 gallons the float is pretty much in the air and this is why the gauge reads off so bad.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I ran out of gas on the lake early this year because my gauge is in accurate but in the other direction. It showed about 2/3 of a tank and we were going for a quick after work trip so I just put 30 bucks in to be safe or so I though. A couple people ride and in the middle of my run the boat sputters and shuts off. I'm thinking the fuel pump is toast cause it showed those same symptoms and the gauge showed over half a tank. I take that Friday off work to pull the boat up to the shop, the guys take a look at a few things and then knock on the tank an what do you know it's bone dry. I go down and put some gas in and it fires right up. Idk if this can be calibrated in the vision system but in the mean time I just fill up everytime out.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Today, I took the time to fill my LSV up with a gas can. At about the 3/4 tank level, the gas would start coming up the fuel hose, and slowly go down. After about 6 more gallons, the gas was at the top of the fuel hose and stopped dropping. I turned the key on, and the fuel gauge read just over a full tank. I believe the new vent system cannot keep up with the fill, and that is why we can only get 3/4 of a tank at the gas station.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon